Tamil Nadu women become self-dependent through home made milk sweet salesMay 3rd, 2009 - 6:06 pm ICT by ANI
Krishnagiri (Tamil Nadu), May 3 (ANI): A voluntary organization in Tamil Nadu’s Krishnagiri District is helping women sell homemade milk sweets in the market.
The best part of this self-help exercise is that the women can appropriate the profits earned.
It is indeed a sweet way to enhance the economic status of women in Tamil Nadu.
Commonly called as Palkova in the region, the sweets prepared from milk is not only being sold among locals, but is also being purchased by people in Coimbatore, Erode and Bangalore.
The “palkova ” milk sweets are sold to various offices, shops, and retail shops. Every day at least these self-help groups are preparing 200 kilograms of milk sweets.
“Every day around 200 kgs of palkova (milk sweets) are prepared and distributed to Bangalore, Erode, and Coimbatore. The profits are shared between women of the self-help groups. The money that is earned is used for studies of children and for economic development of our families,” said Kavita, a member of the group.
The National Eye Womens Life Guard Trust (NEWLG TRUST) helps these self-help groups by giving them loans which they can repay in easy installments.
“We are working in both Kaveripattinam and Krishnagiri districts. We are working with 100 self-help groups. Our concern is economic development of women by identifying their talent. We help them with loans provided through central government. The loans are properly repaid by all women,” said Praveena, Director of the NEWLG TRUST.
On an average, each woman earns a profit of Rs.200 daily. (ANI)
- Indian wins Ramon Magasaysay Award - Jul 26, 2012
- Self respect, not charity is our belief: Magsaysay winner - Jul 26, 2012
- DMK offers free rice, grinders to poor, laptops to students - Mar 20, 2011
- Tamil Nadu freebie wars: AIADMK ups DMK's promises - Mar 24, 2011
- Nabard's Rs.15 bn fund to help women's self-help groups - Apr 14, 2012
- Self-help groups empower rural women in Chennai - Mar 18, 2009
- Micro finance helping poor in rural Assam - Dec 20, 2010
- Self-help groups transforming women's life in rural Punjab - Oct 26, 2009
- Sonia to launch rural livelihood mission - Jun 01, 2011
- A woman's journey from hunger to the legislature (With Images) - Jun 26, 2011
- Empowering lives, transforming villages - the self-help way (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2012
- Milk to cost Rs.2 more in Karnataka from Tuesday - Feb 14, 2011
- Tripura rural market moves towards prosperity - Jun 27, 2010
- Microfinance scheme for transgenders, marginalised women - Jan 29, 2010
- Shops owned by Keralites attacked in Tamil Nadu - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: central government, economic development, economic status, exercise, installments, kgs, kilograms, loans, locals, milk sweets, money, national eye, profits, retail shops, rs 200, self help groups, status of women, voluntary organization