Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycottMarch 21st, 2011 - 1:13 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Mar 21 (ANI): Allies of the J. Jayalalithaa-led All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) have appealed to M. Vaiko, the leader of the Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK), to reconsider his decision to move away from the alliance.
While Jayalalithaa issued an open letter to Vaiko, the CPM, CPI and the Manithaneya Makkal Katchi (MMK) appealed Vaiko to rejoin the alliance.
Justifying her party’s stand on the maximum number of seats it could concede to a long-time ally, Jayalalithaa said she was saddened by the MDMK’s decision to walk out of the alliance and boycott the polls.
“As the leader of his party, you (Vaiko) have every right to decide your party’s future course of action. But as your beloved sister, I still have great love and respect for you,” she said.
CPM State Secretary G Ramakrishnan in a statement appealed Vaiko to reconsider his decision and rejoin the alliance.
“The MDMK is an important ally in the fight against the DMK-Congress alliance, which has steeped the country and the State in corruption,” he said.
CPI State Secretary D Pandian and MMK chief M H Jawahirullah also issued similar statements.
Meanwhile, Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam (DMK) south zone organising secretary and Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilisers M K Alagiri said Vaiko had in the last minute understood the “egoistic nature” of Jayalalithaa.
“It is not the MDMK that has boycotted the elections. Instead the AIADMK has boycotted the MDMK,” he said
The polling for 234 assembly constituencies in Tamil Nadu will be held on April 13.
During the last elections, the MDMK had contested 35 seats. Vaiko was demanding 31 seats, but Jayalalithaa was not in a generous mood. (ANI)
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK releases list of 160 candidates for TN polls - Mar 21, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- AIADMK alliance committed to overthrow Congress-DMK compile in assembly polls: Vaiko - Jan 01, 2011
- AIADMK working out patch-up formula with allies (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- Fissures in alliance, Jayalalithaa puts off poll campaign - Mar 18, 2011
- AIADMK working out patch-up formula with allies - Mar 18, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: AIADMK finalises agreement with CPI (M) - Mar 19, 2011
- MDMK quits AIADMK alliance, to boycott elections (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK allies upset, exploring third front? (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- MDMK breaks away from AIADMK, to boycott elections - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK discusses seat sharing differences with allies - Mar 18, 2011
- PMK to formally decide on joining AIADMK - Mar 26, 2009
- AIADMK saves alliance, DMDK agrees to list - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK, CPM reach seat sharing agreement - Apr 06, 2009
Tags: aiadmk, assembly constituencies, beloved sister, congress alliance, CPI, dmk, dravida munnetra kazhagam, fertilisers, generous mood, j jayalalithaa, love and respect, mdmk, mmk, organising secretary, pandian, ramakrishnan, south zone, state secretary, time ally, union minister