Tamil Nadu police chief gets NHRC notice on Dalits rights violationNovember 5th, 2008 - 7:43 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov.5 (ANI):The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has taken suo-motu cognizance of a violation of human rights of Dalits in Tamil Nadus Tirunelveli District.
The Commission has issued notice to the District Collector and Director General of Police, Tamil Nadu seeking their comments in the matter within a month.
A report published in The Hindu on October 29 alleged that around 200 Dalits of 70 families of Panthapuli village had been forced to leave the village to ensure their safety as they were reportedly under serious threat from upper caste Hindus.
The paper further reported that these villagers had been staying on the nearby Kaarisaaththaan hillock along with their children and cattle.
It also said that the relationship between the two communities has been strained for the last 10 years on the issue of not allowing Dalits to offer prayers at the Kannanullur Mariamman Temple in the village.
It also reported that despite the order, passed by the Sub-Court of Sankarankovil, to the village Administrative Officer and the police to make sure that Dalits are allowed inside the temple, the Dalits who went to the temple on September 23, were not allowed entry in the temple, as the priest of the temple, after getting the temple locked had left the village with the keys of the temple. (ANI)
- Tamil Nadu police charged with not protecting Dalit rights - Nov 06, 2008
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- Tamil Nadu asked for report on assault on Dalit boy - Jun 17, 2011
- Punjab bans use of cancer causing pesticides in Malwa - Apr 21, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Orissa - Jul 27, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to UP government - Jul 25, 2012
- NHRC urged to help woman who tried to end life - Apr 29, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Tamil Nadu - Aug 29, 2012
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over attack on Swami Agnivesh - Mar 30, 2011
- Assault on teacher: Women's panel slams Punjab's inaction - Dec 06, 2011
- Scheme for children under rights panel's lens - Jul 29, 2011
- Uphold dignity of women, Delhi Police told - Mar 16, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Haryana on child's death - Feb 29, 2012
- Report sought on psychiatrists' use to suppress Kudankulam stir - Jul 10, 2012
- NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near Agra - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: 10 years, administrative officer, caste hindus, cattle, cognizance, dalits, director general, hillock, hindu, human rights commission, mariamman temple, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhrc, nov 5, police chief, prayers, upper caste, violation of human rights