Tamil Nadu forest officials rescue trapped leopardNovember 8th, 2008 - 1:12 pm ICT by ANI
Coonoor (Tamil Nadu), Nov 8 (ANI): Forest officials in Tamil Nadus Coonoor town have rescued a trapped leopard and released the big cat into the wilds.
Officials said farmers trapped the leopard, which had strayed into their fields on Thursday.
“On Thursday our officials near the north forest division of Coonoor were informed by the local residents that a leopard had entered their area. We were able to track the leopard, which was caught in a trap placed by a farmer on Friday, said R. Kannan, Conservator of Forests, southern Coimbatore division.
The leopard was given anesthesia, its wounds were treated and then released in the forest,” added Kannan.
In recent years, incidents of wild animals straying into urban areas have increased owing to loss of habitat and increased human encroachment into forest areas.
In India, leopards are found all over the country. The animal often enters human habitat in search of food.
It is illegal to kill leopards in India, an endangered species found in Africa and Asia and often hunted for fur. (ANI)
- Odisha releases captured leopard after protests - Aug 08, 2012
- Mysore's rogue tuskers whisked away to Bandipur forest - Jun 09, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh villagers kill leopard for alleged trespassing into human settlement - Feb 21, 2010
- Stray leopard spreads chaos in Thane - Feb 06, 2011
- Barking dogs attract leopards from wild - Oct 10, 2011
- Man-animal conflict: Assam forms response teams - Mar 30, 2012
- Man-animal conflict intensifies in Madhya Pradesh - Jun 01, 2011
- Leopard enters Hema Malini's bungalow, vanishes (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Leopard strays into Nashik colony, attacks three - Mar 26, 2012
- Lion falls into trap meant for man-eater leopard in Gujarat village - Feb 06, 2010
- Leopard recovered from Gurgaon farmhouse - Jul 11, 2010
- Leopard pays a visit to Hema Malini's bungalow - May 27, 2011
- Leopard caught in Srinagar - Dec 24, 2011
- Students campaign to save tigers in Coimbatore - Dec 17, 2010
- Elephants wreak havoc in Siliguri's tea garden - Dec 04, 2010
Tags: asia, big cat, coimbatore, conservator, endangered species, farmers, forest areas, forest division, forest officials, forests, fur, human encroachment, human habitat, India, kannan, leopards, north forest, urban areas, wild animals, wounds