Tamil Nadu capsicum growing farmers reap huge profitsApril 5th, 2009 - 2:00 pm ICT by ANI
Krishnagiri, Apr. 5 (ANI): Availing the benefits from government’s National Horticulture Mission, capsicum growers of Tamil Nadu’s Krishnagiri district have reaped huge profits.
In April-May 2009, about 1.5 lakhs square feet land of Krishnagiri district was brought under the capsicum cultivation scheme.
Since then, farmers growing ‘Paprika’ or capsicum, have received loans and subsidies, which resulted in crop of eight tonnes of capsicums.
Now, the farmers are aiming to earn more.
“We have received a loan for 1000 square feet under the National Horticulture Mission. Four thousand plants have been planted on 1000 square feet of area. We have already received 8 tonnes of capsicums and expecting to fetch 3 to 4 tonnes more,” said Rajavardhanan, a capsicum grower of Odapalli village.
The farmers, who invested about 700 thousand rupees, have earned extra 350 thousand rupees in just eight months.
Following the success of the ‘Paprika’ crop, regional Horticulture Mission is planning to bring more land under the cultivation scheme.
“Every farmer, those who are cultivating this capsicum and flowers in protected polyhouses, are very much pleased and they are getting very good remuneration. In future it will be extended on another 50,000 square meters,” said P Kaliappan, Assistant Director of Horticulture Mission, Krishnagiri.
Apart from being exported, the Krishnagiri capsicum is also bought by the traders from Bangalore, Salem and Coimbatore.
The estimated earnings from the capsicums crop are worth over a billion rupees. (ANI)
- National Horticulture Mission a boon for capsicum farmers - Mar 06, 2010
- Capsicum set to pinch your pocket this monsoon - Jul 04, 2011
- Himachal launches crop insurance scheme - Jul 13, 2011
- Valentine's Day windfall for Himachal farmers - Feb 13, 2010
- Marigold farmers adopt 'Poly Greenhouse' cultivation in Tamil Nadu - Sep 21, 2010
- Commonwelath Games give boost to flower business in Himachal Pradesh - Oct 03, 2010
- Himachal farmers going organic - 25,000 of them - Jan 18, 2012
- Cheers for cherry lovers with bountiful Himachal crop - May 27, 2012
- Trials on Himachal crops successful, says institute - Jan 29, 2012
- Extended chill hits Himachal's cherry production - May 30, 2011
- Dry spell may upset Himachal's applecart - Jul 25, 2012
- Haryana to study Israel's use of brackish water - Apr 13, 2011
- Hooda in Israel to talk agricultural cooperation - Apr 10, 2011
- Organic veggies to make good business for Himachal hotels - Mar 22, 2010
- Cherry production lures farmers to Kullu - May 02, 2010
Tags: assistant director, bangalore, capsicum, capsicums, coimbatore, earnings, eight months, farmers, feet land, fetch 3, horticulture, paprika, plants, profits, remuneration, rupees, square feet, square meters, subsidies, tonnes