Tamil Nadu Assembly session likely to be stormyNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:22 am ICT by admin
His comments have irked Hindu groups, already up in arms against the Central Government, over the controversial Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project (SSCP).
The Karunanidhi Government may also pass a resolution underlining the need for the immediate implementation of the project.
While the opposition AIADMK, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and several Hindu groups have opposed the project, the DMK has been pressing for its early implementation.
The project will dredge a channel in a narrow strip of sea between India and Sri Lanka, reducing distances and cutting costs for freight traffic for ships moving from Arabian Sea to Bay of Bengal.
However, Hindu groups have been opposing the 560 million dollars project, saying it would destroy the ‘holy’ Ram Sethu, a 48-kilometre chain of limestone shoals that once linked Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu to Mannar in Sri Lanka.
During the session, five bills, including those to replace the ordinances promulgated to provide 3.5 per cent reservation for minorities and amend the local body acts to restrict the use of ‘no-confidence motion’ against the elected heads of the local bodies, will also be approved.
The government’s new policy is likely to be announced during the session.
Besides, the issue of construction of buildings in alleged violation of rules in Kodanadu tea estate in which AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa is a partner, is also going to be taken up.
The Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) will also express its opposition to acquisition of farmlands which were acquired to set up Special Economic Zones and IT parks. (ANI)
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- VHP rejects Governments claim that Lord Rama destroyed Ram Sethu - Jul 28, 2008
- Centre says, Rama Sethu not a national monument - Jul 29, 2008
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- DMK meet ends; silence on cabinet slots, Congress tie-up (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Buddhadeb questions existence of Ram - Dec 07, 2007
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Fourth Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Third Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Supreme Court threatens to issue arrest warrant against Karunanidhi - Aug 04, 2008
Tags: aiadmk, bay of bengal, body acts, canal project, confidence motion, construction of buildings, dmk, economic zones, hindu groups, implementation, karunanidhi, lord ram, opposition, rameswaram, sethu, shipping canal, sri lanka, sscp, tamil nadu, tea estate