Taliban’’s Mullah Omar offers `safe exit” deal to USSeptember 30th, 2008 - 4:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept.30 (ANI): Taliban leader Mullah Omar has urged the United States and NATO forces in Afghanistan to withdraw or face a similar defeat to occupying Soviet troops a generation ago.
In a rare message, posted on militant websites and monitored by the US-based SITE intelligence group, Omar offered a bargain to the US-led forces that drove the Taliban from power in 2001 but are now fighting a fierce insurgency by the Islamist militia.
“Reconsider your wrong decision of wrong occupation, and seek a safe exit to withdraw your forces,” said the message, which the Taliban said came from Omar.
“If you leave our lands, we can arrange for you a reasonable opportunity for your departure,” he said, adding that the Taliban posed no harm to anyone in the world.
If the occupation persisted, “you will be defeated in all parts of the world … like the former Soviet Union,” Omar said.
The Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan in 1979 to prop up a Marxist government against mujahideen fighters, but was ground down by guerrilla warfare and withdrew in 1988-89.
Omar’’s apparently conciliatory remarks were reminiscent of statements by al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in which he has offered to spare Western countries from attacks if they cease what he calls a war against Muslims. Western governments have always dismissed such offers out of hand. (ANI)
- Taliban close to victory, says Mullah Omar (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Address root cause to change Pakistan's India focus: Former ISI chief - Aug 12, 2010
- Mullah Omar urges Taliban not to hurt civilians - Nov 05, 2011
- Taliban chief Mullah Omar, a very wise man: ISI top agent - Feb 23, 2010
- US can negotiate with Mullah Omar: Hillary Clinton - Oct 28, 2011
- We are close to victory in Afghanistan: Mullah Omar - Sep 09, 2010
- Pakistan's ambitions run far beyond Afghanistan (Comment) - Dec 05, 2011
- Mullah Omar declares victory for Taliban "imminent" in Afghanistan - Sep 09, 2010
- Taliban demands removal of leaders names from US, UN terror blacklist - Oct 30, 2010
- West responsible for making Pak breeding ground for international terrorism: Musharraf - Oct 05, 2010
- Mullah Omar has not been arrested: Taliban - Jul 06, 2010
- Taliban leader Mullah Omar killed? - May 23, 2011
- Mullah Omar dead? Taliban says no (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Taliban denies Mullah Omar is dead (Night Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Cameron warns Taliban against destabilising Afghanistan - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, former soviet union, guerrilla warfare, insurgency, intelligence group, marxist government, militant websites, militia, mullah omar, muslims, nato, nato forces in afghanistan, osama bin laden, qaeda leader, soviet troops, taliban, taliban leader, western countries, western governments, wrong decision