Syndication of extremist groups in FATA possible, says US Joint Chiefs of Staff ChairmanJuly 21st, 2008 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 21 (ANI): US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman (JCSC) Admiral Mike Mullen has warned that there is a joining and a syndication of various extremist and terrorist groups in Pakistans Federally Administered Tribal Areas, which could pose an internal threat to that country in the near future.
In an interview on Fox Television, Admiral Mullen, who recently visited Pakistan and Afghanistan, said there is no firm evidence that Al Qaeda is shifting its fighters from Iraq to Afghanistan.
He said that during his visit to the region, the whole issue of FATA and safe havens for foreign fighters of Al Qaeda and the Taliban had come up.
According to the Daily Times, he claimed that the insurgents are now freely, much more freely able to come across the border. (ANI)
- Pak military indirectly rejects damning US 'war on terror' report, ISI double-game - Apr 27, 2011
- ISI has ties with Haqqani network: US commander - Apr 21, 2011
- US sees Al-Qaeda's core in Pak as "most formidable" threat to America - Aug 06, 2010
- Mullen admits US-Pak ties "constantly under strain" since Raymond Davis case - Apr 21, 2011
- US accuses Pakistan of supporting Haqqani network - Sep 23, 2011
- ISI's links with Haqqani network at core of US-Pak differences: Mullen - Apr 21, 2011
- US-Pak secret efforts on to weed out Al-Qaeda from FATA: Petraeus - Dec 08, 2010
- US general meets Kayani, discusses Haqqani network - Sep 24, 2011
- Gilani discusses Pakistan-US ties with politicians - Sep 25, 2011
- Times Square plot evidence proves TTP's expanding reach with Al-Qaeda's help - May 15, 2010
- Pak needs to do much more against Haqqani network for Afghan peace: Mullen - Jul 25, 2010
- Pak army has pledged assault on US target 'epicenter of terrorism' N.Waziristan: Mullen - Oct 14, 2010
- Kabul pact: Pakistan's India discomfort makes it hard, says US (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- US puts 5 Haqqani Network associates on terrorist list - Sep 30, 2011
- US halting military aid to Pakistan for expulsions - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: admiral mike mullen, admiral mullen, afghanistan, al qaeda, chiefs of staff, extremist groups, foreign fighters, fox television, insurgents, internal threat, iraq, joint chiefs of staff, pakistan, safe havens, syndication, taliban, terrorist groups, tribal areas