Symonds admits that he is being treated for stressNovember 25th, 2008 - 1:49 pm ICT by ANI
Adelaide, Nov.25 (ANI): Australian cricket all-rounder Andrew Symonds, who has attracted attention to his negative off-field activities again, has admitted that he is still being treated for a stress-related ailment.
“I am being treated for a stress related illness and I remain committed to dealing with these issues,” Symonds said here last night. Symonds could face the sack from the Australian cricket team after a drinking session at a Brisbane pub on Sunday turned ugly.
Symonds, already on his last warning from Cricket Australia, is under new scrutiny with top cricket officials bewildered that he had again been involved in another alcohol-related incident.
The dread-locked Queenslander has pleaded his innocence and revealed he was being treated for a stress-related illness.
“A member of the public acted unreasonably towards me while I was with friends at which time I took steps to remove myself from the situation,” Symonds said last night.
Cricket Australia has launched an investigation into the incident. If Symonds is proven to be at fault for sparking the incident or over-reacting, it could result in his million-dollar contract being shredded.
A senior CA figure couldn”t believe Symonds had again placed himself in harm’’s way.
“That’’s a recipe for disaster. I would have thought he would have learnt by now to keep away from those situations. My understanding was he was on his last chance. His contract may be torn up if he is at fault,” said the official. (ANI)
- 'Free spirit' Symonds happy out of cricketing spotlight - Dec 23, 2010
- CA chief in Adelaide to determine if Symonds'' is mentally fit - Nov 26, 2008
- Ryder smashes record 16 sixes against Australia A - Nov 27, 2011
- Symonds is driven by money: Slater - Jun 11, 2009
- CA likely to decide Symonds' fate Wednesday - Nov 25, 2008
- Symonds'' booze binge continues - Mar 24, 2009
- Symonds, cricket's vagabond, revelling in his freelance lifestyle - Sep 30, 2009
- Symonds retires from professional cricket - Feb 16, 2012
- Symonds may face further psychological and alcohol rehabilitation - Jan 26, 2009
- Symonds says needs time to reflect about his cricket future - Jun 06, 2009
- Symonds career limited to IPL as CA mulls discontinuing his central contract - Jun 05, 2009
- Rehabing Symonds booted out of bar for being too drunk - Mar 23, 2009
- CA draws up three-year plan for Cummins - Jan 22, 2012
- 'Bad boy' Ryder fined for booze-induced bluster in Christchurch bar - Aug 07, 2010
- Australian media digs up Monkeygate to tarnish Tendulkar's image - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: ailment, alcohol, Andrew Symonds, australian cricket team, brisbane, cricket australia, disaster, dollar contract, dread, drinking session, innocence, last chance, last warning, rounder, scrutiny, stress related illness