Switzerland Govt. may soon deport Sikh Hijackers to IndiaFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 9:54 pm ICT by admin
BY Ravinder Singh RobinAmritsar Feb 22 (ANI): The Sikh hijackers of the Indian Airliners in 1981 and 1984 , who have taken refuge in Switzerland, may soon be deported to India.
The Switzerland Government had asked them to leave the country by February 22, failing to which they may be deported to their native country.
Harminder Singh Khalsa and Dalip Singh involved in the 1984 hijacking case and Master Karan Singh and Jasvir Singh allegedly involved in the 1981 hijacking case were asked to leave Switzerland with their families.
Talking to ANI Master Karan Singh and Harminder Singh said that they would appeal to the Human rights organizations to interfere into their cases.
The Hijackers says that if they would be deported to India they might face threat to their lives.
Nine Sikhs belonging to the Sikh Students Federation hijacked an Indian Airliner from Jammu to Lahore in 1984. The hijackers were: Parminder Singh, Dalip Singh, Manjit Singh Babbar, Gurdip Singh Pardesi, Malaghar Singh Babbar, Harbhajan Singh, Harminder Singh, Gurvinder Singh and Ravinder Singh.
On January 20, 1986, three of them were sentenced to death, two were sentenced to life-imprisonment and four were acquitted.
Later in 1989 the death sentence was commuted to life-imprisonment under the orders of a general amnesty. Two of the four acquitted Manjit Singh Babbar and Malaghar Singh Babbar were killed in an encounter with Indian security forces.
Master Karan Singh and Jasvir Singh were amongst the five who hijacked an Indian Airliner from Delhi Srinager flight to Lahore. (ANI)
- Canada bars entry to Indian Airlines hijacker - Feb 24, 2011
- Punjab police arrests four Sikh militants - Jul 19, 2010
- Court grants bail to 1984 plane hijacker - Mar 25, 2010
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Kashmiri Sikhs give demands charter to Chidambaram - Apr 12, 2012
- Indian hijacker can't practise law, says Canada - Jan 17, 2010
- Indian Airlines hijacker deported to India - Jan 27, 2010
- Ardass Diwas held at Akal Takht for the first time in 26 years - Mar 04, 2011
- Indian Airlines hijacker deported, CBI takes custody (Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- India hands over 28 Pakistani prisoners - Aug 18, 2010
- Indian Airlines hijacker seeks nod to practise law in Canada - Sep 29, 2009
- Sikhs protest at Indian embassy in Berlin to save Bhullar - Jun 20, 2011
- Woman doctor, priest get life for judge's murder - Mar 30, 2012
- Encounters with Husain, Pyne, Bawa...An art critic remembers (With Image) - Feb 19, 2012
- ISI helping militants to establish terror network in Punjab: Police chief - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: airliners, amritsar, babbar, dalip singh, death sentence, gurdip singh, gurvinder singh, harbhajan singh, human rights organizations, indian airliner, indian security forces, life imprisonment, manjit singh, pardesi, parminder singh, ravinder singh, sikh students, sikhs, singh khalsa, switzerland government