Swans startle onlookers by using zebra crossing!June 13th, 2008 - 5:56 pm ICT by ANI
London , June 13 (ANI): While many of us are not quite familiar with traffic rules, heres a family of swans who left motorists and shoppers gawking at them when they crossed a busy shopping street via zebra crossing.
Many people were startled when these swans were making their way from a beach to their home at a nearby boating lake, covering a trek of 1,640ft.
Led by the cob and pen, the caravan of their brood of eight cygnets was spotted across the high street in Perranporth, Cornwall during a busy shopping afternoon.
In fact, there was a time when the one-month old cygnets even stopped to look in the window of a fish and chip shop.
“We went out and there they all were, strolling through the town. It was quite funny that they just walked across the zebra crossing. When I first saw them they were lined up outside the fish and chop shop looking into the window. Seeing them on the high street was really quite strange - it looked very surreal, The Telegraph quoted shopper David Quinnell, as saying.
A retired RSPCA warden Rex Harper, 71, claimed that he was familiar with this family of swans and suggested that they learnt road safety by watching shoppers.
He said: “The female knows the area pretty well so they may well have seen other people going over the crossing and picked it up. But you can’t say that swans are super intelligent because they’re not. Maybe they thought it was a pelican crossing for birds.” (ANI)
- Electric blue lobster now holed up in a museum - Nov 17, 2011
- Moscow Police Create Awareness Among Citizens Through Zebra Painted Horses - Sep 06, 2010
- Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus attacked, normalcy elsewhere in Kashmir - Aug 12, 2010
- Susan Boyle feels more refined now than during Britain's Got Talent - Apr 30, 2010
- Detecting zinc could pave way for better diabetes treatment - Jul 04, 2011
- Cold weather kills rare pelicans in Russia - Feb 21, 2012
- Zebra fish's self-healing could help spinal injury victims - Jun 03, 2012
- Rare zebra-donkey hybrid born in Xiamen Haicang Zoo - Jul 06, 2011
- Chinese man jailed for robbing corn on the cob - Jul 18, 2012
- Scientists get down to counting sand grains on beach - Oct 13, 2011
- Jeff Bridges creates a stir when he visited a Lebowski store - Jan 14, 2011
- Olympic torch relay hit by flash protests - Jul 22, 2012
- Hawks to scare off birds from Singapore street - Oct 12, 2011
- 2,700 students killed in China road accidents in 2011 - Jun 02, 2012
- Damon in awe of 'We Bought...' lion - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: boating lake, brood, caravan, chop shop, cob, cygnets, fish and chip shop, motorists, onlookers, pelican, pelican crossing, perranporth cornwall, quinnell, rex, road safety, rspca, shopping street, swans, traffic rules, zebra