Supreme Court to hear Sanjay Dutt’’s petition on March 30 to stay convictionMarch 6th, 2009 - 4:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 6 (ANI): The Supreme Court will on March 30 hear a petition filed by Bollywood actor-turned-politician Sanjay Dutt seeking a stay on his conviction under the Arms Act in connection with the 1993 Mumbai blasts case
A bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and sought its reply on the plea of Dutt.
On Thursday, Dutt, who was named by the Samajwadi Party as its candidate for the forthcoming general elections, moved the Supreme Court.
Dutt can only contest the Lok Sabha polls if he gets a stay.
Earlier, defence counsel V R Manohar, who represented Dutt in the case, said he cannot contest unless the Supreme Court stays the conviction and suspends the sentence.
Under the Representation of the People Act, anyone sentenced to more than two years”” imprisonment is barred from contesting elections till a court of law stays the conviction and sentence.
On November 27, 2007, Dutt was granted bail by the apex court. He is out on merely on bail following his conviction in the blasts case. So his conviction stands. On July 31, 2007, he was sentenced to a jail term of six years for illegal possession of firearms acquired from terrorist acquaintances, who were responsible for the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts.
He was, however, “cleared of terrorism conspiracy charges in the blasts.” (ANI)
- Supreme Court to hear Sanjay Dutt's petition to stay conviction - Mar 30, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt moves SC to allow him to contest elections - Mar 05, 2009
- SC reserves order on Sanjay Dutt's plea - Mar 30, 2009
- Supreme Court rejects plea against Sanjay Dutt - Jul 04, 2011
- SC to hear Sanjay Dutt's plea on Monday - Mar 29, 2009
- Samajwadi Party appoints Sanjay Dutt as General Secretary - Apr 02, 2009
- Not linked to 1993 Mumbai blasts, Sanjay Dutt tells SC - Aug 14, 2012
- I met Dawood Ibrahim once: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 15, 2012
- I hope court case gets over soon: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 10, 2011
- I was not surprised by Supreme Court's decision: Sanjay Dutt - Mar 31, 2009
- Warrant issued for Sanjay Dutt's arrest - May 28, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt says beaten up while in jail - Apr 10, 2009
- 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Supreme Court to hear final hearing in January 2011 - Jul 26, 2010
- Sanjay Dutt finally free of terror charges - Mar 11, 2010
- Ayodhya demolition behind 1993 Mumbai blasts, apex court told - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: acquaintances, actor turned politician, apex court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief justice, conspiracy charges, defence counsel, general elections, illegal possession of firearms, imprisonment, jail term, k g balakrishnan, lok sabha polls, manohar, mumbai blasts, mumbai bomb blasts, representation of the people act, Samajwadi Party, sanjay dutt