Supreme Court to hear Monica Bedi’s plea to act in filmsNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:15 am ICT by admin
Bedi, who was acquitted in a passport forgery case in Bhopal, was granted bail in a similar case pending in Hyderabad by the apex court. The court had asked Bedi not leave to her permanent residence at Chabbowal village in Punjab’s Hoshairpur District without prior permission.
Her counsel, senior advocate K T S Tulsi, said Bedi has been flooded with offers from various film producers, but this would entail travelling to Delhi and Hyderabad frequently.
In her petition, the actress said that she was unable to accept the offers owing to the conditions imposed on her movements by the apex court.
“It is not possible for the petitioner (Monica) to practice her profession while remaining in her village and awaiting police permission every time she had to undertake a visit outside,” the petition said.
The actress also said she did not want to depend on her parents or relatives for her livelihood.
Quoting Article 19 of the Constitution, the petitioner said, “right to freedom of trade and profession is fundamental” and hence, she cannot be denied the right to act in films by restricting her stay to a particular village. (ANI)
- Actress Monica Bedi's conviction upheld, sentence cut (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Verdict in Abu Salem passport case Nov 16 - Nov 01, 2010
- Monica Bedi feels like a 'free bird' after verdict - Nov 09, 2010
- Portugal Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Abu Salem appears before Hyderabad court - May 06, 2010
- Salem's trial to continue, to move Portugal constitutional court: CBI - Jan 17, 2012
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Fake passport case: Court sentences Salem to four years jail (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
- Abu Salem held guilty in fake passport case - Nov 16, 2010
- Monica Bedi's conviction upheld, sentence reduced - Nov 09, 2010
- Monica Bedi begins new innings in Nepal - Feb 28, 2011
- Monica Bedi granted access to her frozen bank accounts - Dec 04, 2009
- Supreme Court upholds Monika Bedi's conviction in fake passport case - Nov 09, 2010
- Charges framed against Abu Salem in fake passport case - Jan 29, 2009
- Bengali folk theatre gets a Bollywood twist (Feature) - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: acquitted, actress, apex court, bail, bhopal, chief justice, entail, film producers, forgery case, hyderabad, livelihood, monica bedi, permanent residence, petition, petitioner, plea, profession, punjab, tulsi