Supreme Court to hear legalisation on gay rightsApril 19th, 2011 - 12:26 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 19 (ANI): The Supreme Court will on Tuesday take up the issue of decriminalising gay sex among consenting adults in private.
A bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi would be hearing petitions filed by gay rights activists and political, social and religious organisations who have opposed the Delhi High Court verdict decriminalising homosexual behaviour.
At the last hearing on February 7, the bench had refused to implead the armed forces in the case on the contentious issue.
Several political, social and religious organisation have asked the Supreme Court to give the final verdict on the issue.The High Court had on July 2, 2009 declared the penal provision (under Section 377 of Indian Penal Code) for gay sex among consenting adults in private as unconstitutional which was earlier a criminal offence punishable with up to life imprisonment.
The apex court had declined to stay the verdict and had said, “Any interim order against the High Court verdict, if necessary, will be considered only after hearing the parties concerned”. (ANI)
- Supreme Court defers hearing on decriminalisation of gay sex - Apr 19, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear legalisation on gay rights - Feb 07, 2011
- Supreme Court dismisses plea to hear armed forces on homosexuality - Feb 07, 2011
- Activists slam government's stand on gay sex - Feb 23, 2012
- Government's flip-flop on gay sex ban (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Criminal acts in privacy not immune, court told - Feb 22, 2012
- Apex court raps government for flip-flop on homosexuality (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Homosexuality, lesbian relationships unnatural, SC told - Feb 15, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear pleas against gay sex in April (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Apex court rebuffs government for flip-flop on homosexuality - Feb 28, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear pleas against gay sex in April - Feb 07, 2011
- Scope of penal provision on gay sex wide: SC - Feb 16, 2012
- Don't decriminalise gay sex: Home ministry - Feb 23, 2012
- Apex court reserves verdict on anti-gay sex petitions (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Homosexuality, lesbian relationships unnatural, SC told (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, bench, consenting adults, contentious issue, court verdict, criminal offence, delhi high court, final verdict, gay rights activists, gay sex, homosexual behaviour, indian penal code, legalisation, life imprisonment, New Delhi, petitions, religious organisation, religious organisations, section 377