Supreme Court to decide on extending SIMI ban todaySeptember 24th, 2008 - 12:21 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 24 (ANI): The Supreme Court will today hear the case of extending ban on the Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
On August 25, the apex court had extended the ban on the SIMI by six weeks. A Bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan also fixed September 24 as the date for next hearing in this case.
The Centre had challenged the decision of the Special Tribunal headed by Justice Geeta Mittal to lift the ban on SIMI.
On August 6, a bench headed by the Chief Justice Balakrishnan had stayed a Special Tribunal order that had earlier ordered lifting restrictions on its activities.
The apex court had also issued notice to SIMI and posted the matter for hearing after three weeks.
The Centre has complained to the apex court that the tribunal set up under the Unlawful Activities (prevention) Act, in its 263-page order has not expressed anything on the merits of the case even when the government had provided Intelligence Bureau reports pointing towards members of SIMI indulging in terrorist activities.
The Tribunal headed by Geeta Mittal, had on August 5 quashed the February 7 notification of the Centre extending the ban on SIMI till 2010 saying no new evidence was placed against the organisation to justify the ban.
SIMI, banned since 2001, has been under the scanner of security and intelligence agencies for terror attacks in various parts of the country including the recent blasts in Bangalore and Ahmedabad.
The ban was first imposed on SIMI in 2001 under the Unlawful Activities (prevention) Act and since then it has been extended after every two years. (ANI)
- Supreme Court extends ban on SIMI for four weeks - Sep 11, 2008
- HC tribunal upholds ban on SIMI (Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Supreme Court extends ban on SIMI for six weeks - Aug 25, 2008
- Apex court notice to government on SIMI ban (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Tribunal upholds ban on SIMI - Aug 01, 2012
- UPA Govt seeks extension of stay on tribunal order on SIMI ban - Aug 19, 2008
- Supreme Court refers SIMI ban issue to larger bench - Oct 13, 2008
- Supreme Court stays lifting of ban on SIMI - Aug 06, 2008
- Supreme Court extends ban on SIMI by six weeks (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- No fresh evidence to extend ban: SIMI tells court - May 11, 2010
- Supreme Court restores curbs on SIMI (Lead) - Aug 06, 2008
- Centre extends ban on SIMI for two more years - Feb 05, 2010
- Apex court reserves order on suit against Balakrishnan (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Centre submits report on former chief justice Balakrishnan - Mar 12, 2012
- Supreme Court suspends ruling that lifted SIMI ban - Aug 06, 2008
Tags: apex, apex court, bangalore, bench, blasts, chief justice, geeta, intelligence agencies, intelligence bureau, islamic movement, merits, New Delhi, new evidence, prevention act, scanner, six weeks, supreme court, terror attacks, terrorist activities, tribunal