Supreme Court sends Sabarimala temple case to a larger benchMarch 7th, 2008 - 6:59 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 7 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Friday referred the petition that challenged the ban on women of 10-50 age group from entering into the Sabarimala Temple in Kerala to a larger bench.
Justice S B Sinha referred the matter to a three Judge bench.
Justice Sinha passed the order while hearing a petition filed by the Indian Young Lawyers Association challenging the bar on women’s entry into the temple.
It may be recalled that on November 18 a woman was arrested in front of the temple, as she attempted to gatecrash into the revered hill shrine, where entry of women is barred.
Around two years back a major controversy erupted when a Kannada film actress named Jaimala claimed to have entered the sanctum sanctorum and touched the celibate idol.
In past few years many women have been arrested at Pampa while trying to sneak into the temple.
Women who attain their puberty are barred from entering into the temple, which is opposed by many women groups. (ANI)
- Kerala court quashes charge sheet in Sabarimala case - Jul 13, 2012
- Court offers reprieve to Kannada actress in temple case - Oct 13, 2011
- Kannada actor not to be arrested in Sabarimala case - Nov 15, 2010
- Sabarimala temple averse to suggestion on widening steps, door - Jul 17, 2010
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum - May 21, 2012
- Apex court issues notices on Kalighat temple entry (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Actress Jaimala gets court summons in Sabarimala case - Jul 15, 2011
- Apex court notice on entry to Kalighat temple - May 15, 2012
- Sabarimala: Pilgrims discover Q-coupon booking virtues - Nov 19, 2011
- After 2,000 years, temple allows women into sanctum sanctorum - Apr 15, 2011
- 'Temple rules must not be changed': Kerala devotees - Apr 17, 2011
- Woman arrested for attempting to barge inside Sabarimala Temple - Nov 18, 2007
- Sabarimala pilgrimage begins - Nov 17, 2011
- Court bans devotees' entry to Kalighat 'garbha griha' - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: age group, bench, controversy, justice sinha, kannada film actress, kerala, lawyers association, New Delhi, pampa, petition, puberty, sabarimala temple, sanctum sanctorum, supreme court, temple women, young lawyers