Supreme Court issues notice to Badal over Amarinder’’s expulsionSeptember 26th, 2008 - 4:19 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Sept 26 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Friday issued notices to the Punjab Government and Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal while acting on a petition filed by former Chief Minister Amarinder Singh.
Questioning the State Assembly’’s power to expel a member, Amarinder had challenged his expulsion.
The apex court issued the notice to Badal in his personal capacity.
Seeking assistance from the Attorney General, a bench headed by Justice S B Sinha referred the matter to a larger three-judge bench, saying that an important question of law is involved in it.
On September 10, the Punjab Assembly passed a resolution to expel Amarinder and declared his Patiala seat vacant on the basis of a House Committee report in the Amritsar land scam.
The committee in its report had held guilty Amarinder and two other Congress leaders Jagjit Singh Chaudhary and Jugal Kishore Sharma for alleged irregularities in exempting 32.10 acres of land for private development in Amritsar during his tenure as chief minister. (ANI)
- Amarinder Singh re-enters Punjab assembly - Sep 29, 2010
- Amarinder Singh's ouster unconstitutional: apex court (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2010
- Punjab HC stays custodial interrogation of Amarinder Singh - Sep 15, 2008
- Restore Amarinder Singh's assembly membership: Apex court (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2010
- Apex court notice to Punjab government on Amarinder Singh's expulsion - Sep 26, 2008
- Badals getting richer, Punjab poorer: Amarinder - Aug 13, 2011
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Amarinder questions Badal's stand on Bhullar clemency - Sep 25, 2011
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Court allows Badal's plea to withdraw case against Amarinder - Oct 16, 2010
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Congress embarrassed after drubbing by Akalis (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 15, 2012
- Amarinder's return to Punjab is news! (Punjab Newsletter) - Aug 31, 2012
- Apex court denies immediate relief to Amarinder Singh against expulsion - Feb 23, 2009
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, bench, chief minister, committee report, congress leaders, expulsion, house committee, irregularities, jugal, kishore, land scam, New Delhi, personal capacity, private development, punjab government, question of law, sinha, state assembly, supreme court issues