Supreme Court issues contempt notice to Karunanidhi over Oct. 1 ’shutdown’November 14th, 2007 - 3:01 am ICT by admin
The apex court issued notices after the counsel for opposition AIADMK furnished in the court photographs and various news clippings to prove that the ruling party had actively sponsored the shutdown.
Baalu had allegedly made several inflammatory and contemptuous remarks against the apex court for prohibiting the shutdown, the counsel told the apex court.
The Jayalalitha led AIADMK on October 4 had filed a petition in the apex court seeking Contempt of Court proceedings against Karunanidhi.
In a petition filed in the apex court, the AIADMK had demanded Contempt of Court proceedings against Baalu, State Transport Minister KN Nehru, Chief Secretary LK Tripathi and Transport Secretary Debendranath Sarangi.
On October 1, Karunanidhi and leaders of his alliance partner went on a fast after apex court termed the shutdown call given by the DMK in support of the Sethusamudram Project as ‘illegal’.
However, the State had remained virtually shutdown with public offices and transport remaining closed.
This lead to the apex court warning the State Government of initiating Contempt of Court proceedings.
A bench headed by acting Chief Justice B N Aggarwal and Justice P Sathasivam had said: “If there is no compliance with our order, it is complete breakdown of Constitutional machinery. We will then have to direct the government to impose President’s rule.”
Is this the government? Is this the Tamil Nadu government? Is it the DMK government, a strong ally of the UPA government? If this is the attitude of the DMK government, the UPA government should not feel shy of dismissing it and impose President’s Rule,” the court had observed. (ANI)
- Plea for contempt action against Karunanidhi dismissed - Apr 01, 2009
- No contempt proceedings if president has immunity: Pakistani court - Feb 01, 2012
- SC dismisses contempt petition against Karunanidhi, Baalu - Apr 01, 2009
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- Change in government should not hit students: Apex court (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Court notice to 12 private hospitals in Delhi - Aug 08, 2012
- Apex court seeks visuals of Baalu's remarks against judges - Dec 10, 2008
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Second Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Karunanidh to visit Delhi Monday, Baalu to attend UPA anniversary (Third Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Gilani contempt: Court summons top official - Feb 28, 2012
- Kanimozhi, four others get bail, Karunanidhi beams (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2011
- Congress on 'wait, watch' mode, DMK firm on pull out (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2011
- UPA in crisis as DMK quits government, dumps Congress (Roundup) - Mar 05, 2011
- Army considering women officers' promotion. court told (Lead) - Nov 02, 2011
- Italian marines' plea: SC notice to centre, Kerala - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: aggarwal, aiadmk, allegedly, apex court, bench, contempt notice, contempt of court, contemptuous remarks, court proceedings, dmk government, jayalalitha, justice, karunanidhi, petition, president, sarangi, shutdown, tamil nadu government, transport minister, UPA