Supreme Court dismisses petition of convict of Nitish Katara murder caseOctober 22nd, 2008 - 5:40 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 22 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed a petition filed by Vikas Yadav, convicted for murdering Nitish Katara, seeking transfer of the appeal proceedings outside Delhi.
A bench of Justices Dalveer Bhandari and H S Bedi found no merit in the plea.
Vikas Yadav had pleaded that the appeal against his conviction in the Katara murder case should be heard either by the Allahabad High Court or any other High Court in the country barring the Delhi High Court.
He claimed that his appeal proceedings would not be held in a fair manner in the Delhi High Court due to the “media glare”.
On May 30, the Patiala house court have been awarded life sentence to Vikas Yadav, the son of Uttar Pradesh politician D P Yadav and his cousin Vishal Yadav.
Vikas and Vishal had allegedly abducted Katara, the son of an IAS officer, from a marriage party in Ghaziabad on the intervening night of February 16-17, 2002.
The victim’’s body was later recovered from a village in Uttar Pradesh’’s Bulandshahr District.
According to the prosecution, Katara, a business executive, was killed by the two accused, as they did not approve of their sister Bharti Yadav’’s growing proximity with him. (ANI)
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict - Jul 17, 2012
- Court orders medical inspection of Nitish Katara killers - Feb 02, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records - Feb 01, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Verdict on third accused Wednesday - Jul 05, 2011
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Katara murder case: Delhi HC allows Vikas to attend brother's wedding - Apr 26, 2011
- Katara murder case: HC allows Vikas Yadav to attend sister's wedding - Oct 23, 2009
- Give death to Nitish Katara killers, police tell court - Aug 28, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Vishal to pay Rs.16 lakh for security - Mar 16, 2012
- Court orders medical check of Nitish Katara killers (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- HC permits Vishal Yadav to attend sister's engagement - Dec 31, 2009
Tags: abducted, allahabad high court, appeal proceedings, bhandari, business executive, convict, conviction, d p yadav, delhi high court, ghaziabad, glare, life sentence, marriage party, murder case, New Delhi, patiala house court, petition, plea, politician, prosecution