Supreme Court directs Censor Board to solve Rann’s issue case within a monthMay 25th, 2009 - 7:00 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 25 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Monday directed the Censor Board to solve the controversy over a song from a forthcoming Bollywood movie ‘Rann’ within a month.
This directive was pronounced by the judges hearing a petition filed by the director of the movie, Ram Gopal Varma.
“The movie made by me happens to be ‘Rann’. There is one song in the movie that is inspired by the national anthem. The Censor Board banned this song and they have ordered not to pass the promo of the film. We have appealed to the Supreme Court. The apex court has said that the Censor Board has to take the decision on the matter within a month,” said Ram Gopal Varma.Reportedly, the title song of the film sound like the lyrics ‘Jana Gana Mana Rann Hai’ has been twisted from the national anthem ‘Jana Gana Mana…’.
Consequently, the Censor Board did not approve of the song in the movie and had banned its promos.
Reacting to it, Ram Gopal Varma appealed against the ban on the title song in the Supreme Court.
‘Rann’, delves into the highly competitive world of television news reporting in India, putting the spotlight on the media industry’s insatiable appetite for advertisers and viewers.
The film is touted as a behind-the-scenes look at how news channels greedy for ratings are being manipulated into sensationalise stories to grab eyeballs.
Apart from Amitabh Bachchan, the movie also features Paresh Rawal, Manisha Koirala and Rajat Kapoor, Riteish Deshmukh, Purab Kohli and Gul Panag.
In the film, Amitabh Bachchan plays the head of a round-the-clock news channel. (ANI)
- Varma replaces 'Jana Gana' with 'Vande Mataram' in 'Rann' - Dec 07, 2009
- 'Rann' director to move apex court against censor ruling - May 13, 2009
- Freedom is remote-controlled in India: Filmmaker Varma - Jan 22, 2010
- Ram Gopal Varma hasn't done anything punishable, say lawyers - May 20, 2009
- 'Rann' of business and conscience in media (IANS Preview) - Jan 26, 2010
- Supreme Court frowns upon 'Jana Gana Mana Rann' (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Amitabh, Ram Gopal Varma burnt in effigy for 'twisting' national anthem - May 09, 2009
- Ram Gopal Varma twists national anthem for 'Rann' (With Images) - May 06, 2009
- Music Review of Rann (2010) - Jan 16, 2010
- Apex court asks Ram Gopal Varma to approach tribunal for movie - May 25, 2009
- Raima Sen episode was blown out of proportion -Ram Gopal Varma - Jan 27, 2010
- 'Agyaat' smoking scene cut for TV: Ram Gopal Varma - Jul 26, 2009
- Censor Trouble For Ram Gopal Varma's 'Rakhta Charitra' - Oct 16, 2010
- Sanjay's tribute to Big B with 'Thodi si jo pi li hai' - Apr 21, 2012
- Sanjay Dutt to sing extra song for 'Department' - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: amitabh bachchan, apex, apex court, bollywood, clock news, competitive world, eyeballs, film sound, gul panag, insatiable appetite, jana gana mana, manisha koirala, national anthem jana gana mana, news channels, paresh rawal, purab kohli, rajat kapoor, ram gopal varma, riteish deshmukh, television news