Supreme Court cancels bail to Satyam’s Raju, asks him to surrender by Nov. 8October 26th, 2010 - 6:01 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 26 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered former Satyam chairman B. Ramalinga Raju and five others to surrender by November 8 in connection with the multi-crore financial scam case.
Overruling a decision of the Andhra Pradesh High Court that had granted bail to him in the case, the apex court ordered a court handling the Satyam case to complete its trial by July 31, 2011.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had questioned Raju for around three hours on October 5 as part of its probe into the case.
Raju, the founder of Satyam was arrested in January 2009 for one of India’s biggest corporate scams, worth more than 7000 crore.
The CBI had opposed his bail on the grounds that he could try to influence witnesses.
Raju, the prime accused in the Rs 14,000-crore scam, had earlier evaded interrogation under the pretext of being medically unfit.
The apex court had earlier on October 1 issued notice to Raju on a petition by the CBI seeking cancellation of his bail granted by the Andhra Pradesh High Court.Raju was granted bail by the Andhra High Court in August.The CBI believes that Raju may try to tamper with evidence against him and influence witnesses.He has been charged under various sections of the Indian Penal Code including Section 120B for criminal conspiracy, under Section 409 for breach of trust, under Section 420 for cheating, and under Section 468 and Section 471 for forgery.Raju, Satyam founder and former Chairman, resigned from the company after confessing to country’s biggest financial fraud of Rs 14,000 crore and disclosing massive financial irregularities in January 2009. Andhra Pradesh Police arrested Raju and his brother Rama Raju on January 9, 2010. Nine other accused, including top company officials and auditors, were also arrested in the case. (ANI)
- Satyam fraud case: CBI grills Raju for three hours - Oct 05, 2010
- CBI to quiz Satyam founder Raju - Oct 04, 2010
- CBI to quiz Satyam founder Raju today - Oct 05, 2010
- Satyam scam: Ramalinga Raju surrenders before trial court - Nov 10, 2010
- Satyam fraud case: Supreme Court rejects Ramalinga Raju's plea - Nov 09, 2010
- Satyam fraud case: CBI seeks more time from Supreme Court - Oct 08, 2010
- Supreme Court notice to Ramalinga Raju on CBI plea - Oct 01, 2010
- Satyam's Ramalinga Raju, two others get bail - Nov 04, 2011
- Supreme Court cancels bail of Raju, five others (Second Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Bailed Satyam founder Raju makes second appearance before Hyderabad court - Aug 26, 2010
- Satyam Ramalinga Raju released on bail - Nov 05, 2011
- CBI plea against Ramalinga Raju's bail to be heard Monday - Aug 29, 2010
- Satyam case: no bail for Raju, seven others - Aug 30, 2011
- Raju, others denied bail in Satyam scam - Aug 04, 2011
- Why not cancel bail, apex court asks Satyam scam accused - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh high court, apex, apex court, b ramalinga raju, breach of trust, cbi, central bureau of investigation, company officials, criminal conspiracy, financial fraud, financial irregularities, financial scam, forgery, indian penal code, interrogation, New Delhi, pretext, rama raju, scam case, scams