Supreme Court bans sale of ‘gutkha’, ‘pan masala’ in plastic pouchesDecember 7th, 2010 - 7:15 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 7 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered a ban on the sale of tobacco products like ‘gutkha’ and ‘pan masala’ in plastic pouches from March 2011, while asking the government to carry out a survey on the ill effects of these products within eight weeks.
An apex court bench comprising Justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly also asked the manufacturers to explore and decide by March next year on the alternative material for packaging them.
The directions of the court came while brushing aside the pleas of some of the gutkha manufacturers, who feared that such a direction could lead to closure of thousands of gutkha and pan masala manufacturing units.
“Let it come,” the bench quipped when counsel for one of the manufacturers claimed that the whole industry would come to a standstill.
Cigarettes, however, are not a part of the ban issued by the apex court as they are generally sold in paper packs
The apex court bench also asked the government to examine the effects of packaging these products in plastics pouches over human health.
The bench recorded an undertaking from Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium that the government would get the requisite survey done by the National Institute of Public Health on the harmful effects of gutkha, pan masala and other tobacco products and also the adverse effects, if any, of the plastic pouches used for packaging the material.
The verdict came following a petition filed by a civil society, which has challenged the alleged unbridled sale of gutkha and pan masala material in the country, seriously impinging upon public health. (ANI)
- No sale of tobacco products in plastic pouches from March: Supreme Court - Feb 17, 2011
- No sale of gutka, pan masala in pouches from March 2011 - Dec 07, 2010
- Siliguri environmentalists support ban on sale of tobacco in plastic sachets - Dec 10, 2010
- Is tobacco plastic sachet ban being implemented, SC asks - Aug 25, 2011
- Contempt notice issued to company on plastic sachet use (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Supreme Court refuses to lift ban on tobacco sachets (Lead) - Apr 14, 2011
- Deadline for ban on gutkha in plastic sachet stays - Feb 17, 2011
- Apex court angry over ex-judges' opinions filed by litigants - Jan 28, 2012
- Deadline for ban on gutka in plastic sachet stays (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Chewing tobacco joins 'banned foods' as oral cancer cases rise - Sep 02, 2011
- Pan masala makers want curbs to go - Oct 20, 2011
- Plastic gutka sachets banned, really? - Mar 06, 2011
- Apex court upset at former judges giving opinion on matters - Jan 29, 2012
- Contempt notice to Rajnigandha maker for using plastic pouches - May 11, 2011
- Himachal bans gutkha, paan masala - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: adverse effects, apex, apex court, cigarettes, closure, court bench, ganguly, gopal, human health, ill effects, national institute of public health, New Delhi, pan masala, petition, plastic pouches, plastics, solicitor general, subramanium, tobacco products, undertaking