Supreme Court advances hearing on Madras HC lawyers” strikeFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 5:47 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 23 (ANI): The Supreme Court today advanced the hearing of Madras High Court lawyers strike from February 25 to 27.
A Bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan decided to hear the matter on Wednesday after the Court was informed that subsequent developments, including a clash between the lawyers and policemen, have taken place.
The Court was told that the situation instead of improving has deteriorated and needed to be heard urgently.
Over 150 lawyers were arrested on Friday for participating in a protest march outside the Tamil Nadu secretariat. They were agitating against the violence in the Madras High Court complex on Thursday.
Earlier, the lawyers” agitation issue dominated proceedings in the Tamil Nadu Assembly.
Over 100 lawyers were injured outside the Madras High Court after police baton charged them for attacking Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy.
The agitation has led the Supreme Court to issue separate notice to the Registrar General, Madras High Court, the Bar Council of India, the Bar council of Tamil Nadu, the Madras High Court Advocates Association and the Madras Bar Association to explain their decision to boycott high court proceedings. (ANI)
- 150 Chennai lawyers arrested for protesting against Madras HC violence - Feb 20, 2009
- Madras HC lawyers boycott talks with government in Chennai - Feb 24, 2009
- Shoot at sight orders issued in Tamil Nadu - Feb 21, 2009
- Lawsuit against lawyers' 'unruly' behaviour - Dec 11, 2009
- Tamil Nadu lawyers protest demanding hike in welfare fund - Dec 30, 2009
- Tamil Nadu lawyers continue to boycott high court proceedings - Mar 02, 2009
- Apex court takes over Rajiv assassins' mercy pleas (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Suspended police officers asked to approach Madras High Court - Jul 14, 2009
- Supreme Court asks why Tamil Nadu lawyers go frequently on strike - Feb 19, 2009
- SC declines plea on Tamil Nadu government's secretariat (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Notice to Tamil Nadu for suspending police officers - Mar 25, 2009
- Plea to allow regional languages in high courts - Jun 23, 2010
- Delhi High Court lawyers join strike - Jul 12, 2012
- SC tells government to decide on Balakrishnan case (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Chief justice, senior lawyer depose before Srikrishna Commission - Mar 01, 2009
Tags: advocates, agitation, bar council of india, bench, chief justice, clash, court lawyers, court proceedings, k g balakrishnan, madras high court, New Delhi, party president, police baton, policemen, protest march, secretariat, subramanian swamy, supreme court, tamil nadu, violence