Support to Women Reservation Bill will empower women: Kumari SeljaJune 8th, 2009 - 11:10 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 8 (ANI): Union Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Tourism minister Kumari Selja on Monday sought support of all political parties for Women Reservation Bill, saying it would help in empowering the women fraternity across the country.
“The Women Reservation Bill must be passed. We appeal to all political parties to lend their support so that the long procrastinated issue could be resolved,” Kumari Selja said in a function in the capital.
However, Rajya Sabha member Prabha Thakur made an indirect comment on Janata Dal (U) President Sharad Yadav’s recent threat in Lok Sabha to consumer poison over passing of the Women Reservation Bill in its present form.
“Women have always served the men with nectar in life. Thus, if any one of them talks about consuming poison on the issue of women empowerment, it is disappointing for the women of the country to think of such viewpoint. Every party is free to distribute tickets to its women candidates whether they belong to any group of society-minority, OBC or SC/ST,” said Rajya Sabha Member Prabha Thakur on Monday.
“By making such kind of disappointing statements, please don’t become a hurdle in women’s progress,” Prabha added. (ANI)
- Women's bill will impact caste struggle in India: Experts - Mar 10, 2010
- Mamata, Ambika Soni voice support for Women's Reservation Bill - Mar 08, 2011
- Rajya Sabha passes amended central institutions act - Apr 27, 2012
- BSP opposes Women Reservation Bill seeking quota within quota for SC/ST - Mar 07, 2010
- Mindset against women has to change: Women MPs (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2011
- All-party meet fails to evolve consensus on women's quota bill (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Parliament reluctant to pass women's bill: Book - Feb 25, 2011
- Women's quota bill: Opposing parties hope for modifications - Jun 22, 2011
- Speaker to meet politicians on women's reservation bill - Jul 13, 2011
- President asks parties to pass women's bill - Mar 08, 2010
- See Munde's remark on OBC quota in context, says BJP - Apr 11, 2010
- More women in parliament will change face of Indian politics (Comment) - Mar 13, 2010
- Hopes run high with women's reservation bill - Mar 07, 2010
- Lok Sabha passes amended OBC quota bill - May 16, 2012
- Speaker's meeting raises hope for women's quota bill - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: fraternity, hurdle, janata, Lok Sabha, nectar, New Delhi, obc, poison, political parties, poverty alleviation, prabha, procrastinated, rajya sabha, reservation bill, sabha member, sharad yadav, tourism minister, urban poverty, viewpoint