Suicidal Gaza now refuses food in rehabMay 12th, 2008 - 6:19 pm ICT by admin
London, May 12 (ANI): Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne is refusing to eat in rehab as he battles alcoholism and depression.
Staff at The Priory in south west England have said that they are concerned for the former Rangers and England football star.
“He’s not eating at all, but just stands outside all day in the grounds smoking about 60 fags a day. His whole demeanour is so sad, and people are concerned that he’s losing too much weight. He’s looking increasingly haggard and weak,” The Mirror quoted a source, as saying.
Gazza, 41, entered The Priory on Sunday after an apparent suicide attempt in a London hotel.
He has only stepped out once to visit a shop - flanked by a minder - for more cigarettes and a car magazine.
Gazza was found in the bath of the four-star Millennium in Sloane Square on Sunday, saying he wanted to drown himself.
His daughter Bianca, 21, said this week: “I have learnt that my dad is seriously ill and it is something we are powerless to control or to help with. We can be there to support him as a family but I sincerely hope that the rehab staff are able to help him on his road to recovery.”
Gazza was admitted to a mental health unit earlier this year after treatment for a 2500-pound-a-day cocaine and booze habit. (ANI)
- Gazza, Greaves, to undertake stage show - Mar 24, 2011
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Gazza checks into rehab again - Jul 15, 2010
- Gascoigne regrets turning down Fergie's Man U offer earlier in his career - Mar 09, 2011
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- 'Sick man' Gazza wants 12-week rehab programme to work - Jul 22, 2010
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Gazza accused of 'groping shopgirl' - Jul 20, 2010
- Gazza looks like 'Elephant Man' after car smash - Jun 17, 2010
- Amy Winehouse is Gazza's 'ideal woman' - Jul 07, 2010
- Maradona offers to help Gazza kick booze habit - Mar 21, 2009
- Gazza wants to change his name to 'Gassa' - Aug 29, 2012
- Witness' failure to attend court delays Gazza 'drik-driving' care for 3rd time - Dec 14, 2010
- Gazza faces Christmas behind bars after failing to appear before court - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: alcoholism, alcoholism and depression, apparent suicide attempt, booze, car magazine, cocaine, demeanour, england football, england footballer, football star, former rangers, gaza, london hotel, mental health unit, paul gascoigne, priory, rehab, sloane square, south west england, star millennium