Suhkrunye celebrations in NagalandFebruary 10th, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by ANI
Kohima, Feb. 10 (ANI): The spectacular festival Nagaland, Suhkrunye is being celebrated with great splendor and gaiety in Phusachodumi village of Phek District.
The fortnight long festival is eminent for the Chakhesang tribe of Nagaland, who celebrate it to sanctify young boys and girls and also to seek blessings for a bountiful and prosperous year ahead.
People of the Phusachodumi village attribute their community bondage and traditional culture to such festivals.
We are moving towards modern tradition, say western culture. Even though we have to move forward as it helps us to be progressive, we should preserve our culture and tradition because we have a very rich culture. We cannot lose it because it is really worth preserving and help to realise our identity, said Shenieta, a local.
Chakhesang tribe started their Suhkrunye celebrations, which will go on till middle of February
This festival is to promote social bonding, family relationships and also improves the social lives, said Chotisuh Sazo, Secretary of Social Welfare and Women Development, Government of Nagaland.
The festivities are marked by the folk songs and showcasing of colourful dances by various cultural groups. Feasting and drinking ”Roxy” (rice brew) are also an integral part of this lively festival. (ANI)
- Nagaland's Ao tribe celebrates Tsungremong festival - Aug 22, 2010
- Chumpo Museum set up to showcase tribal culture of Nagaland - Dec 01, 2010
- Tourists throng annual 'Hornbill Festival' in Nagaland - Dec 20, 2010
- Karbi Anglong's Ronthean Festival promoting a unique Assamese lifestyle - Dec 07, 2010
- Naga tribes vow to promote peace and unity in Nagaland - Jun 29, 2009
- Manipur celebrates Kut Harvest Festival with gusto - Dec 01, 2010
- Nagaland road shows encouraging local entrepreneurs - May 20, 2010
- Karnataka minister to visit northeast, ask people to return - Aug 21, 2012
- Nagas celebrate annual seed sowing festival of Lui-Ngai-Ni - Feb 20, 2010
- Earthquake in northeast - Jul 15, 2012
- Anal Naga Tribe in Manipur celebrates post harvest festival - Nov 17, 2009
- Cultural festival to promote harmony between Assam and Nagaland - May 13, 2010
- People celebrate Kahika festival in Kullu - Jul 24, 2010
- Fashion Shows To Showcase North-East Ethnic Collection - Jul 28, 2010
- Plays from north-eastern states dominate Bharat Rang Mohatsav - Jan 26, 2010
Tags: boys and girls, cultural groups, development government, family relationships, festivities, folk songs, fortnight, gaiety, kohima, lively festival, prosperous year, rich culture, showcasing, social welfare, spectacular festival, splendor, traditional culture, western culture, women development, young boys