Sudarsan Pattnaik thanks Sachin by sculpting 15-feet long tigerMarch 22nd, 2009 - 10:08 pm ICT by ANI
Puri (Orissa), Mar 22 (ANI): Renowned sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has thanked star cricketer Sachin Tendulkar for dedicating his 42 nd Test century to the cause of tiger conservation.
Pattnaik has thanked Tendulkar by sculpting a fifteen feet long tiger out of sand along the Puri beach.
Sachin Tendulkar scored 160 runs against New Zealand in the first test match at Hamilton and dedicated his century to the cause of tiger conservation.
Pattnaik decided to thank the cricketer by making a 15 feet long sand sculpture of a tiger using 15 tons of sand with Thanks Sachin etched on it.
We have made a fifteen-feet long tiger to thank Tendulkar for taking a serious step towards tiger conservation. We believe its a big step. Orissa is one of the main destinations for tigers. So its really great that a sportsman like Sachin has associated himself and his game to the cause of tiger conservation. For thanking Sachin for taking initiative like this, we have recreated the tiger by using 15 tons of sand, Sudarsan Pattnaik said.
Foreign tourists at the Puri beach also were much impressed with the sand tiger and the marvelous endeavours of Patnaik literally ushering colourful life on the sand.
It is a marvelous thing, very interesting. I would say I have never seen such a beautify tiger as this. And second thing to see that people do devote time to such things and especially to give thanks to Sachin, who is very-very positive and I think a great person. So it is very interesting, opined Francis, a foreign tourist.
According to a recent survey conducted by the state government, the population of the beautiful majestic striped felines has fallen to 1,411, down from 3,642 in 2002, largely due to dwindling habitat and poaching. (ANI)
- Huge sand cake for birthday boy Sachin (With Image) - Apr 23, 2011
- A huge sand cake for Sachin! - Apr 22, 2011
- Sand artist creates image on earth quake - Sep 20, 2011
- Indian sand artist wins prize in Denmark (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sandy tribute to Japan tsunami victims (With Images) - Mar 12, 2011
- 125-ft-long sand cricket bat to usher World Cup (With Image) - Feb 12, 2011
- Sand artist pays tribute to Dev Anand - Dec 05, 2011
- Sudarsan aims new record with sand Santa on Christmas eve - Dec 24, 2010
- Indian sand artist wins gold in Spain (With Image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sand image on beach in Hazare's support - Aug 13, 2011
- Santa in sand, courtesy Odisha artist (With Image) - Dec 25, 2011
- Sand sculpture created on Puri beach to spread swine flu awareness - Aug 14, 2010
- Odisha artist makes ailing Big B's sand image (With Image) - Feb 19, 2012
- Orissa's sand sculptor pays tribute to 9/11 victims - Sep 11, 2009
- Orissa's sand artist pays tribute to Friday's Maoist attack victims - May 29, 2010
Tags: 411, endeavours, first test, initiative, long sand, nd test, puri beach, puri orissa, sachin tendulkar, sand sculpture, sand tiger, sportsman, state government, striped felines, test century, test match, tiger, tiger conservation, tigers, tourists