Student’s suicide: West Bengal Govt unable to take action against principalJune 11th, 2010 - 5:36 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, June 11 (ANI): West Bengal School Education Minister Partha Dey on Friday said the State Government is unable to take any action against the Principal of La Martiniere Boys’ School, for the caning and humiliation of 13-year-old student Rouvanjit, who committed suicide.
Interacting with media, Dey said the Government’s hands are tied and the only available recourse for the future, is to set up an authority under the Right to Education Act to safeguard the interests of children in schools.
“An authority can be set up under a State Act. It can supercede the schools with minority status, and parents teachers can complain before authorities,” Dey said.
In a shocking development, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) probing the case has revealed that the Principal of La Martiniere School for Boys, admitted to caning Class VIII student Rouvanjit Rawla, who committed suicide on February 12 this year.
Reportedly, Principal Sunirmal Chakravarthy is unrepentant, and even confessed to Kolkata Bishop Ashok Biswas - who heads the Church of North India (CNI) that runs the school.
The NCPCR report found that corporal punishments were in fact a norm at the school, as alleged by Rouvanjit’s parents.
It is expected to submit the report in New Delhi soon.
According to a probe committee member, Ashok Agarwal, the environment at La Martiniere has been extremely unsuitable for children.
Rouvanjit had committed suicide by hanging himself on Febuary 12, 2010.
The class eight student was forced to take this drastic step after months of humiliation, allegedly at the hands of his teachers. (ANI)
- Rouvanjit suicide case: La Martiniere principal arrested - Oct 04, 2010
- Rouvanjit suicide case: La Martiniere principal to be charged with abetment - Jan 31, 2011
- La Marts principal, 3 teachers charged with abetting Rawla's suicide - Nov 19, 2010
- Remove La Martiniere principal: child rights panel - Jul 19, 2010
- La Martiniere principal held over schoolboy's suicide - Oct 04, 2010
- La Martiniere principal, 3 teachers held for boy's suicide (Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- Kolkata's La Martiniere school students support arrested principal - Oct 04, 2010
- Rouvanjit suicide case: La Martiniere principal granted bail - Feb 04, 2011
- I am sorry for caning: La Martiniere principal - Jun 15, 2010
- Boy's suicide: La Martiniere principal, 3 teachers held, get bail (Second Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- Case against trio who visited La Martiniere as HRD team - Jun 27, 2010
- Court upholds trial for La Marts principal, teachers - Jan 31, 2011
- Court confirms bail of La Martiniere principal, teachers - Feb 04, 2011
- La Martiniere alumni want truth to come out - Jun 17, 2010
- New rules to stop corporal punishment in schools: Buddhadeb - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: ashok, biswas, boys school, cni, committee member, corporal punishments, dey, drastic step, education act, february 12, humiliation, minority status, north india, partha, recourse, school education minister, shocking development, state act, state government, west bengal