String making artisans flock to Rajasthan ahead of ‘Makar Sankranti’January 12th, 2008 - 4:53 pm ICT by admin
Jaipur, Jan 12 (ANI): String makers from Uttar Pradesh are flocking the desert of Rajasthan ahead of a popular festival ‘Makar Sankranti’ which is marked by kite flying.
On January 14, the skies will be dotted with innumerable colourful kites of various shapes and sizes to celebrate Makar Sankranti’.
String-makers are all set to cash in on the festive season. Hailing from Bareilly, they have set themselves up in the pink city of Jaipur, busy preparing ‘manja’, a glass coated string used in kite fights, with hopes of doing good business.
Chote Bhai, a kite string maker, said: “There are at least 15 to 20 of us who come here to make manja and some also make beautiful varieties of kites. One person gets on an average around rupees 100 to 150 per day from morning to evening.”
The craftsmen claim that the ‘Bareilly string’ is of better quality and is preferred by kite-flyers.
“There (Bareilly) we get all the material. We get the mixtures, which are heavy in weight at about rupees 25 to 30 per kilogram. The material we get there is of good quality and that is why people prefer the Bareilly string,” said Jakir Hussain, another kite string maker.
Makar Sankranti, marks the transit of the sun to the northern hemisphere every year on January 14, and is celebrated in many parts of north and west India with kite flying. (ANI)
- Colourful Sankranti celebrations in Andhra - Jan 15, 2012
- Use glass-free manja this Makar Sankranti, urges PETA - Jan 07, 2011
- Pakistan's kite-flyers to be booked under terrorism act! - Nov 11, 2011
- Campaign launched to save birds from kite's thread in Surat - Jan 01, 2011
- Sonam Kapoor donates 'kind kites' to school kids - Jan 13, 2011
- Bollywood Catching Up With Makar Sankranti On Social Networking Sites - Jan 15, 2011
- Bollywood wishes fans on Makar Sankranti - Jan 14, 2011
- Flying kites, feasting, Delhi celebrates Makar Sankranti - Jan 14, 2011
- Flying start for Delhi's kite festival - Nov 12, 2011
- Makar Sankranti in Odisha with holy dips, kite flying - Jan 15, 2012
- Kite flying always excited me: Dilip Kumar (Movie Snippets) - Jan 15, 2012
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Kite flying - old passion finds new celluloid expression - Jun 30, 2012
- Flying kites in Karnataka, eyeing tourists like Goa - Jan 13, 2011
- Kite sales soar in Gujarat ahead of Uttarayan - Jan 02, 2010
Tags: artisans, chote, colourful kites, craftsmen, festive season, flock, good business, kilogram, kite flyers, kite string, makar sankranti, mixtures, northern hemisphere, pink city, rupees, shapes and sizes, string maker, string makers, uttar pradesh, west india