Strike cripples life in KashmirMay 21st, 2009 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 21 (IANS) Life in the Kashmir valley was crippled Thursday due to a general strike called by the moderate Hurriyat Conference coinciding with the 19th death anniversary of Mirwaiz Muhammad Farooq.
Farooq was killed by gunmen inside his house on May 21, 1990.
Shops and businesses were shut and public transport was off the roads in the Jammu and Kashmir summer capital Srinagar and other towns in the valley. However, a few private vehicles were plying on the city roads here.
Government offices, educational institutions and banks were also closed in Srinagar, where the state authorities have made elaborate security arrangements to maintain law and order.
The death anniversary of separatist leader Abdul Gani Lone was also being observed here Thursday. Lone was gunned down while he was attending a function to mark the 12th death anniversary of the late Mirwaiz near the martyr’s graveyard this day in 2002.
A rally to commemorate the death anniversary of the late Mirwaiz is scheduled to be held in Eidgah Thursday afternoon.
Thousands of supporters of the Hurriyat Conference have started reaching Rajouri Kadal in old city from where the rally is scheduled to begin.
Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, chairman of the moderate Hurriyat Conference, and other separatist leaders will address the rally.
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Srinagar shuts down to commemorate separatist leader's death - May 21, 2010
- Separatist shutdown, official curbs mar Srinagar life - May 21, 2012
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Thousands join funeral of slain Kashmiri religious leader - Apr 08, 2011
- Shabir Shah arrested, Mirwaiz free to move around (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Maulana opposed to stone throwing killed in Srinagar (Third Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Invite separatists, Pakistan for dialogue, says Mirwaiz - May 21, 2010
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Chinks in Mirwaiz-led Hurriyat Conference? - May 07, 2012
- Moderate Hurriyat issues notice to three leaders - Jun 01, 2012
- Curfew in parts of Srinagar following Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Curfew in Srinagar to prevent Muharram procession - Dec 17, 2010
- Kashmir cleric opposing stone throwing killed in blast (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2011
- Clash at Hurriyat seminar in Kashmir - May 20, 2012
Tags: city roads, cripples, death anniversary, educational institutions, farooq, gani, government offices, gunmen, hurriyat conference, jammu, kadal, kashmir, kashmir valley, private vehicles, security arrangements, separatist leader, separatist leaders, srinagar, state authorities, thursday afternoon