Stone Age artifacts prove primitive man roamed Persian PlateauNovember 28th, 2008 - 12:56 pm ICT by ANI
Tehran, Nov 28 (ANI): Archeological discoveries, in the form of Stone Age artifacts on the Iranian Plateau, have proven that primitive man once passed through the region millions of years ago.
Artifacts dating back to the Stone Age have been found on these plateaus, helping experts retrace the steps of a tribe of primitive men that lived in the prehistoric period more than 2 million years ago and passed through the region on their way to other countries.
According to Hamed Vahdati, a member of the archeological society at Irans Cultural Heritage Center, primitive man originally emerged in East Africa, and intelligent man lived more than 90,000 to 100,000 years ago, proof of which has been found in South Africa and Palestine.
The Stone Age artifacts found in Iran are very similar to those found in East Africa.
Iranian excavation teams are busy dating objects found in the caves where the primitive men once lived, in an effort to learn more about them and the tools they used, said Vahdati.
The Iranian plateau is a geological formation in Southwest Asia, Southern Asia and the Caucasus region.
In spite of being called a plateau, Irans continental shelf is far from being flat with the Lut Basin east of Kerman, in Central Iran, falling below 300 meters and Damavand, its highest peak, measuring 5610 meters. (ANI)
- Stone Age artifacts discovered in Nepal - Jan 11, 2011
- 5,000-year-old civilization found in southern Iran - Jan 06, 2011
- Modern humans reached Arabia earlier than previously believed - Jan 28, 2011
- Iran executed 25 people in one week - May 17, 2011
- 40,000-year-old site found in China - Mar 21, 2012
- Artifacts dating back to Harappan era unearthed in Jharkhand - Jun 26, 2010
- Europe was populated by Kashmiris around 40,000 years ago: Study - Apr 03, 2011
- Did first humans emerge from Middle East, not Africa? - Dec 28, 2010
- Scientists discover that some Ice age mariners were present in pre-historic Greece - Aug 30, 2011
- Behind the scenes: India shaped BRICS position on West Asia, Afghanistan - Mar 31, 2012
- Discovery of stone tools at Crete push back seafaring by 130,000 years - Feb 16, 2010
- Iran: EU seeks India's leverage, Manmohan backs diplomacy - Feb 10, 2012
- Tool-making hominins inhabited grassland environments, reveals 2-mln-yr-old evidence - Oct 21, 2009
- Humans survived ice age by sheltering in 'Garden of Eden' - Jul 27, 2010
- Europe taking away Iran's rain, says Ahmadinejad - May 21, 2011
Tags: 100 000 years, archeological discoveries, archeological society, caucasus region, central iran, continental shelf, cultural heritage center, east africa, excavation teams, geological formation, intelligent man, iranian plateau, kerman, plateaus, prehistoric period, primitive man, primitive men, southern asia, southwest asia, stone age