Stifling security marks Olympic relay in Malaysian capitalApril 21st, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur, Apr.21 (ANI): Stifling security marked the 16.5 kilometre-long Olympic torch relay in Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur on Monday.
At least 1,000 officers were deployed along the relay route that began at the colonial-era Freedom Square and ended at the Petronas Towers, the world’s second-tallest buildings.
About 3,000 spectators, mindful of the official warnings against disrupting the relay, watched the landmark event under warm sunshine. Chinese supporters waved Malaysian and Chinese flags at Freedom Square to cheer the torchbearers.
The entourage was greeted with traditional Malay music and a lion dance performance as police sealed off streets and deployed mounted units, helicopters and water cannons to deter protesters.
On Monday, French President Nicolas Sarkozy also conveyed a message of sympathy to Jin Jing, a wheelchair-bound Chinese torchbearer who fended off protesters on the Paris leg of the torch, triggering off an anti-France campaign in China.
“I would like to express to you my deep feeling towards the way you were shoved in Paris on April 7 when you were holding the Olympic flame,” Xinhua quoted the note from Sarkozy as saying.
Security concerns have prompted changes to the torch route in Japan and caused sponsors to pull out of a motorcade.
The Japanese leg of the Olympic torch relay will kick off from a vacant patch of land in Nagano City on April 26 after the Zenkoji Temple pulled out as host over security concerns and complaints from the faithful.
The three corporate sponsors for the Japanese leg of Saturday’s relay — Coca-Cola, Samsung Electronics, and computer-maker Lenovo Group Ltd — have decided against taking part in the torch procession’s motorcade, which Japanese media said would attract protests.
Eighty torchbearers are expected to jog the 18.5 km route through Nagano. The Olympic flame will now travel to Jakarta on April 22 and then to Canberra on April 24.
The torch is then scheduled to go to South Korea and then to North Korea on April 28 before heading to Vietnam. (ANI with inputs)
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- Olympic Torch sold for over £150,000 on the auction site eBay - May 22, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Olympic torch relay completed despite protest - Feb 13, 2010
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Lee Chong Wei, Yihan Wang win singles title at Malaysia Open - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: chinese flags, freedom square, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, japanese leg, landmark event, lenovo group ltd, lion dance performance, message of sympathy, nagano city, nicolas sarkozy, olympic flame, olympic torch relay, paris leg, petronas towers, president nicolas sarkozy, torch route, traditional malay music, water cannons, zenkoji temple