Steve Waugh launches his global charity foundation in New DelhiJune 19th, 2009 - 10:13 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 19 (ANI): Former Australian skipper Steve Waugh launched his charity foundation called ‘Steve Waugh Global Foundation’ in New Delhi on Friday.
Addressing a press conference here, Waugh said that the foundation would manage and coordinate his charity work around the globe.
The first project of the foundation will be an extension of Waugh’s existing charity work, ‘Udayan’, home for the rehabilitation for leprosy affected children or those whose parents suffer from leprosy.
“The first one of those would be ‘Udayan’, obviously going forth we would be looking at other worthwhile projects to support and the area will be rare diseases and rare illness. And over time we will be the appropriate people in India to identify the charities to support and I am hoping that we will have presence all over India and not just in Calcutta,” he said.
Waugh said it was after meeting Mother Teresa at the missionaries of Charity in Calcutta years ago that inspired him to raise funds for the underprivileged.
“I realised with my profile and my influence I could raise awareness to causes and I could raise significant funds and make a real, tangible difference, and not just a token difference and, that got me thinking that I should take this to the next level and maybe Mother Teresa was a catalyst for this,” said Waugh.
The Steve Waugh foundation will help change things for children with rare diseases and give hope to their families who have nowhere to turn.
The foundation would also raise awareness towards the needs of such children and increase international cooperation in the service, identification and treatment of rare diseases. (ANI)
- Indian-American businessman joins Georgia Senate race - Jun 18, 2012
- India-Australia series will be a close one, says Steve Waugh - Oct 09, 2009
- Kolkata gears up to salute Mother Teresa Thursday (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- New docu-drama to mark 100 years of Mother Teresa - Aug 18, 2010
- A colourful fete to fund child education (With Images) - Jan 21, 2012
- Mass begins Mother Teresa's birth centenary celebrations - Aug 26, 2010
- Pope sends blessings on Mother Teresa's birth centenary - Aug 26, 2010
- Kolkata prepraes to salute Mother Teresa - Aug 25, 2010
- Mother Teresa demonstrated power of compassion: Navin Chawla - Aug 27, 2010
- Steve Waugh's charity work in India continues - Oct 24, 2008
- Outpouring of love, Papal message mark Mother Teresa centenary (Lead) - Aug 26, 2010
- Mother Teresa's visual biography opens film festival - Aug 26, 2010
- Mother was for immediate relief of poor, neglected: Reaseachers - Aug 26, 2010
- Kolkatans shower Mother Teresa with love on centenary (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2010
- Hudson to host charity dinner for late nephew - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: calcutta, catalyst, charities, charity foundation, charity work, global charity, global foundation, globe, international cooperation, leprosy, missionaries of charity, mother teresa, New Delhi, next level, rare diseases, rare illness, skipper, steve waugh, tangible difference, worthwhile projects