Stephanie Rices ex says Michael Phelps lucky to win 8 gold in Beijing!August 30th, 2008 - 5:22 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, August 30 (ANI): Golden girl Stephanie Rices former boyfriend Eamon Sullivan has said that Michael Phelps was lucky that mistakes by other swimmers helped him beat Mark Spitz’’s record of seven gold medals at the one Olympics.
The Australian sprinters comment follows reports that Phelps was spotted in a steamy liaison with Rice, who won three gold medals in Beijing.
Phelps came from behind to win the 100m butterfly final by 0.01sec over Serbia’’s Milorad Cavic, and had to rely on a blistering final leg swim by American teammate Jason Lezak to claim gold in the 4×100m freestyle final.
“I think there was an element of luck,” the Daily Telegraph quoted Sullivan as saying.
“One hundred flys always come down to finishes, and some would say Cavic’’s finish was - it was at that point 50-50 whether you take another stroke or you take a glide.
“He (Phelps) made the right decision and I think the other guy made the wrong decision. I”m not saying he didn”t deserve it, I”m saying he did everything he could do to win those golds and he came away with it, but at the same time there were little mistakes by others that allowed him to do that,” he added.
Sullivan failed to win gold in Beijing, even though he was one of the hot favourites to take out the 50m and 100m freestyle.
He snared silver in the 100m freestyle after setting a new world mark in the semi-final, but finished a disappointing sixth in the 50m freestyle final, a distance he also holds the world record for.
“I guess what else is left to do for him except come down and win races he hasn”t won before?” Sullivan said. (ANI)
- European swimming: Seven golds decided on penultimate day - May 27, 2012
- Phelps wins show-down in Foro Italica with world record - Aug 02, 2009
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps wins 7th straight gold in fingertip victory - Aug 16, 2008
- US swimmer Phelps' 20 steps to immortality - Aug 17, 2008
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Six world records takes Rome total to 35 - Aug 01, 2009
- Asian Games swimming: Khade creates history in pool after 24 years (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Lochte overtakes Phelps for gold in World Swimming Championships - Jul 26, 2011
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012