Star Trek actor George Takei to marry long-time boyfriendMay 21st, 2008 - 5:15 pm ICT by admin
London, May 21 (ANI): American actor George Takei is all set to tie the knot with his long time boyfriend Brad Altman after California lifted its ban on same-sex marriage.
The 71-year-old actor, who played Mr Sulu in Star Trek, revealed that he and 54-year-old Altman, with whom he has been going around for 21 years, are at the moment going through the “delicious dilemma” of deciding where to marry.
“We can have the dignity, as well as all the responsibilities, of marriage. We embrace it all heartily,” BBC quoted Takei as stating on his website.
Takei, who recently appeared in the popular US TV series Heroes, said that the two of them get on very well together.
“We’ve worked in partnership; he manages the business side of my career and I do the performing, he said.
“We’ve travelled the world together from Europe to Asia to Australia. We’ve shared the good times as well as struggled through the bad.
“He helped me care for my ailing mother who lived with us for the last years of her life. He is my love and I can’t imagine life without him,” he added.
The two will finally be able to tie the knot, after California’s Supreme Court ruled on May 15 that the “right to form a family relationship” applied to all Californians regardless of sexuality.
But opponents of the decision said they would seek an amendment to the state constitution, which would override the ruling.
Following the Supreme Court’s decision to legalise same-sex marriage, comedian Ellen DeGeneres announced plans to marry her girlfriend, actress Portia de Rossi. (ANI)
- Portia De Rossi Files Petition To Take Up Spouse Ellen DeGeneres' Name - Aug 10, 2010
- Ellen DeGeneres, George Takei to remain married despite gay marriage ban - May 27, 2009
- Portia de Rossi wants Oz politicians to back gay marriage - Nov 21, 2010
- Portia De Rossi apologises for marrying DeGeneres in video spoof - Mar 24, 2009
- Portia de Rossi is now officially Portia DeGeneres - Sep 24, 2010
- Portia De Rossi Officially Changes Name - Sep 24, 2010
- George Takei celebrates new ruling over gay marriage - Aug 06, 2010
- Portia de Rossi Takes Wife Ellen DeGeneres' Name - Sep 24, 2010
- Portia de Rossi petitions the LA Court as she wants to take on Ellen DeGeneres' last name - Aug 11, 2010
- ''Star Trek'' star Mr. Sulu marries beau of 21 years - Sep 16, 2008
- Portia de Rossi takes on partner Ellen DeGeneres' name - Sep 27, 2010
- Hundreds of gay, lesbian couples say "I do" in New York (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Portia de Rossi set to legally take on wife Ellen DeGeneres' last name - Aug 10, 2010
- Scotland to legalise same-sex marriage - Jul 25, 2012
- George Takei, Brad Altman to be first gay couple on The Newlywed Game - Sep 17, 2009
Tags: actor george, actress portia de, american actor, brad altman, business side, californians, comedian ellen degeneres, delicious dilemma, dignity, ellen degeneres, family relationship, george takei, good times, knot, mr sulu, portia de rossi, same sex marriage, star trek, state constitution, sulu in star trek