Standard Chartered Bank organises visually impaired motor rallyApril 9th, 2009 - 7:14 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 9 (ANI): The Standard Chartered Bank on Thursday organised a motor rally under the caption ‘Seeing Is Believing’ for visually challenged people.
The intended purpose of the rally was to make the visually impaired feel included.
During the rally, each visually impaired participant or navigator was paired with a driver. Each navigator was given a map with clear instructions on time, distance, and landmarks in braille.
“Today the visually impaired boys and girls are sitting in the car and navigating. They are responsible for the car to move. I think it is fantastic. The main thing is that they are trying to equalize people. They are trying to remove the sense of superior and inferior,” said Bollywood actor Rahul Bose, who was present at the rally.
The visually impaired participants were enthusiastic during the rally.
“Being visually impaired, I cannot drive. But if there is ever a car for the visually impaired, I would love to drive it,” said Manoj, a participant.
The ‘Seeing Is Believing’ campaign will set up 40 vision centres across six states for providing primary eye care services to half a million poor.
The Standard Chartered Bank launched the programme in 2003, as a major global community initiative.
Close to half of the world’s visually impaired live in India (nine million), Africa (seven million) and China (six million). There are 153 million people who require reading glasses but have no access to them.
According to Standard Chartered Bank assumptions, close to half a million people in India are expected to receive help from the project. (ANI)
- A car rally with blind navigators (With Images) - Feb 05, 2012
- Visually impaired participate as navigators in a Delhi car rally - Mar 13, 2011
- Bihar's visually impaired to get RTI Act copy in Braille - Nov 10, 2011
- Stars join in at Mumbai Marathon's dream run - Jan 15, 2012
- ATM for blind launched in Sharjah - Jul 05, 2012
- Unique car rally for visually challenged - Feb 15, 2009
- Card with a message: Nidhi Kaila's mission for the blind - May 25, 2011
- Practice improves sense of touch in blind - May 12, 2011
- Let your fingers feel driving directions, if you don't hear them - Sep 27, 2010
- National TSD Rally championship launched - Aug 14, 2012
- National Museum opens door to visually-impaired - Feb 28, 2011
- Pakistani hotel introduces braille menu for blind - Dec 04, 2010
- Tech show provides platform to the disabled - Feb 07, 2012
- Kashmir car rally driver killed in crash, aide critical (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Top navigators for National TSD Rally - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: assumptions, boys and girls, braille, caption, china, community initiative, eye care services, global community, half a million, half of the world, India, landmarks, motor rally, New Delhi, participant, participants, primary eye care, rahul bose, reading glasses, standard chartered bank