Stage set for fifth phase of Lok Sabha electionsMay 12th, 2009 - 2:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 12 (ANI): The stage is set for the fifth and last phase of Lok Sabha elections in 86 constituencies in seven States and two Union Territories on Wednesday.
In this phase, polling will take place in West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and Punjab; and two Union Territories - Chandigarh, Puducherry.
Elections will be held to four seats in Himachal Pradesh, two in Jammu and Kashmir, nine in Punjab, 39 in Tamil Nadu, 14 in Uttar Pradesh, 11 in West Bengal, five in Uttarakhand, the lone one seat each in Chandigarh and Puducherry.
Uttar Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir are the only states to have undergone polls in all the five phases.
The prominent contestants in the fray are Congress’s P. Chidambaram and Mohd. Azharuddin, BJP’s Maneka Gandhi, Varun Gandhi, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Vinod Khanna, DMK’s M K Azhagiri, Dayanidhi Maran, T R Baalu and A Raja, MDMK’s Vaiko, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and Samajwadi Party’s Jayaprada.
The other important contestants in the fray are Mani Shankar Aiyar, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Sajjad Gani Lone, and Tamil actor M Karthik.
So far, elections have been completed to 457 seats since the exercise began on April 16. On May 7, the fourth phase of the Lok Sabha elections held for 85 constituencies spread across seven States had witnessed 57 per cent voting of the total 9.46 crore eligible votes.
The first, second and third phases of polling were held on April 16, 23 and 30 respectively.
The counting of votes will take place on May 16. The 543-member House will be constituted before June 2. (ANI)
- Campaigning for fifth phase of Lok Sabha polls comes to end - May 11, 2009
- Campaigning for fifth phase of Lok Sabha polls ends today - May 11, 2009
- Polling for fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections begins - May 13, 2009
- Voting begins for final phase of Lok Sabha polls (Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Filing of nominations for final phase of Lok Sabha elections ends today - Apr 24, 2009
- Fifth phase witnesses approximately 62 percent polling - May 13, 2009
- President issues notification for fifth phase of elections - Apr 17, 2009
- Five states to go to polls January-March (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Fifth phase of polling to elect 86 Members of Parliament - May 13, 2009
- Tamil Nadu take on Uttarakhand in opening match of national hockey - Jun 04, 2011
- Five states to pick new assemblies in January-March (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2011
- Final votes in Election 2009 to be cast Wednesday (Curtainraiser) - May 12, 2009
- Polls conclude with about 355 million registered voters exercising their franchise - May 13, 2009
- Presidential election: Break-up of votes polled - Jul 22, 2012
- Indian states and their ruling parties - May 13, 2011
Tags: azharuddin, dayanidhi maran, fifth phase, fourth phase, himachal pradesh, jammu and kashmir, lok sabha elections, mamata banerjee, maneka gandhi, mani shankar aiyar, navjot singh sidhu, p chidambaram, Samajwadi Party, tamil nadu, trinamool congress chief, uttarakhand, vaiko, varun gandhi, vinod khanna, west bengal