Stage set for Buddha Mahotsava in Bodh GayaJanuary 14th, 2008 - 10:10 pm ICT by admin
Bodh Gaya (Bihar), Jan 14 (ANI): The stage has been set for the three-day ‘Buddha Mahotsava,’ the annual Buddhist festival that begins on Tuesday here.
Bodh Gaya, where Lord Buddha is believed to have attained enlightenment in the 6th century BC, is abuzz with religious activities ahead of the festival.
Makeshift pavilions and tents have been set up for the rituals.
The centuries-old Mahabodhi temple built near the Bodhi tree under which Buddha attained enlightenment has been lit up with decorative lights.
According to Jitendra Srivastava, District Magistrate, Gaya, efforts are being made to organise the celebrations on the same scale, as witnessed on the occasion of the 2550th anniversary of Buddha’s enlightenment last year.
Thousands of Buddhist monks, devotees and scholars from across the globe have already arrived to take part in the annual event organised by the State Government.
The aim of the festival is to spread the message of peace and love, and to educate people about the teachings of Buddha.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is expected to inaugurate the festival, which will include performances by renowned artists from across the country.
Besides cultural functions, special prayers will also be organised on the occasion. (ANI)
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Bihar to approach Sri Lanka for Bodhi tree sapling - Jun 28, 2010
- 5,000 initiated into Tibetan Buddhism at Bodh Gaya - Dec 29, 2010
- Buddhist monks to protest over control of Bodh Gaya temple - Feb 22, 2010
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Annual monsoon festival at Gaya's Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrims - Aug 13, 2010
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace in Bodh Gaya - Nov 21, 2009
- Buddhist monks offer prayers for world peace on Tripitaka festival - Dec 03, 2010
- Dalai Lama, Karmapa lead Buddha Purnima celebrations in India (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
Tags: bihar, bodh gaya, bodhi tree, buddha, buddhist festival, buddhist monks, celebrations, chief minister, devotees, district magistrate, enlightenment, lord buddha, mahabodhi temple, nitish kumar, pavilions, religious activities, renowned artists, rituals, state government, teachings of buddha