Srinagar shivers, rain and snow likely in KashmirJanuary 21st, 2011 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 21 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir summer capital Srinagar and other parts of the Valley continued to reel under the harsh winter chill Friday even as the weatherman forecast light rain and snow at isolated places.”The minimum temperature was minus 4.4 degrees Celsius in Srinagar today (Friday),” said Mubeen Ahmed Malik, scientific assistant at the local weather office here.
“In south Kashmir’s Qazigund town the minimum was minus 6 degrees, in Pahalgam minus 6.1, in Gulmarg minus 10.3 degrees Celsius. Leh and Kargil towns recorded minus 8.9 and minus 15.0 degrees respectively today.”
Rain and snow at isolated places have been forecast across the Valley. One-way traffic from Jammu to Srinagar is being allowed on the strategic Srinagar-Jammu national highway.
Slippery road conditions and frozen water pipes continued to trouble locals for the last four days.
“Sometimes the taps inside the house get frozen and if these are functional, then the main supply to the overhead tank gets frozen,” said Abdul Majid, 39, who lives in old city’s Aali Kadal area here.
“It has become a full time job for my family. Sometimes we are busy defreezing the main pipeline and once these are okay, we shift to work on the taps inside the house. Unless the overall temperature rises here, things are not going to get any better.”
- Kashmir freezes over, Pahalgam minus 16.1 - Jan 16, 2011
- Taps freeze in chilly Kashmir - Jan 11, 2012
- Major snowfall in Srinagar in coming days - Jan 12, 2012
- Temperatures rise in Jammu and Kashmir, but cold stays - Feb 03, 2011
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 30, 2011
- Dal Lake freezes in sub-zero Kashmir - Jan 12, 2012
- Winter chill freezes Kashmir Valley, Leh - Jan 20, 2011
- Taps freeze in Srinagar as mercury touches minus 5.5 - Jan 08, 2012
- Sun shines bright on Kashmir after rain, snow - Feb 08, 2011
- Snow likely in Kashmir Valley, avalanche alert sounded - Feb 06, 2011
- Freeze continues in Kashmir, Leh minus 20.2 - Jan 04, 2011
- Kashmir Valley in cold grip, Leh minus 11.4 - Jan 22, 2011
- Kashmir temperatures fall again - Jan 20, 2012
- Coldest day in Srinagar at minus 3.8 degrees - Dec 08, 2010
- Srinagar shivers at minus four, Leh in deep freeze - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: abdul majid, frozen water pipes, full time job, gulmarg, harsh winter, jammu, jan 21, kashmir, light rain, local weather, minimum temperature, pahalgam, rain and snow, shivers, slippery road conditions, south kashmir, taps, weather office, weatherman, winter chill