Srinagar shivers at minus 3.4, Leh freezes at minus 12.8December 6th, 2010 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 6 (IANS) As the mercury continued to dip further, Jammu and Kashmir’s summer capital Srinagar shivered at minus 3.4 degrees Celsius Monday while Leh town in the Ladakh region virtually froze with the minimum temperature slipping to minus 12.8 degrees.
“Srinagar witnessed its coldest night of the season today (Monday) as the minimum temperature fell to minus 3.4 degrees. The minimum temperatures in Leh and Kargil towns were minus 12.8 and minus 11.2 degrees Celsius respectively,” said R.K. Pandita, assistant director at the local weather office here.
Pandita said weather would remain cold and dry and temperature would slide further till Wednesday.
“It is not unusual for the temperatures to fall below freezing point at the beginning of December. But it is because of the extra cautions local take that there have never been any deaths due to the chilly weather,” he added.
Although some affluent families have started using central heating systems for warmth, erratic electricity supply has made ‘pherans’ (tweed over garment) and ‘Kangris’ (earthen firepots woven in a willow wicker basket) Kashmiri’s best bet against the cold weather.
“It is better to adhere to traditional means than experiment with modern contraptions in a place where electric supply is unsure and dicey,” said Bashir Ahmad War, a retired veterinarian here.
- Gulmarg shivers at minus two degrees Celsius - Apr 14, 2012
- Snowfall in hills sends chilly winds into Valley - Oct 23, 2011
- Night temperatures likely to fall further in Kashmir - Nov 22, 2011
- Bitter cold in Kashmir with below freezing temperatures - Dec 10, 2010
- Kangris and Kashmiris...one can't be separated from the other (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
- Kashmir gets season's first snowfall, early winter chill - Oct 22, 2010
- Bone chilling cold in Kashmir as Leh freezes - Jan 03, 2011
- Fiery chinar leaves lend magic to Kashmir (Feature) - Nov 03, 2011
- Cold wave continues in Kashmir, Dal Lake freezes - Dec 27, 2011
- Slight respite from chill in Kashmir, snowfall likely - Jan 12, 2011
- Kashmir's begins tryst with harsh winter - Dec 21, 2009
- Srinagar sees coldest day at minus 5.6 degrees - Dec 19, 2010
- Coldest day in Srinagar at minus 3.8 degrees - Dec 08, 2010
- Freeze continues in Kashmir, Leh minus 20.2 - Jan 04, 2011
- Leh in deep freeze at minus 20 degrees, Srinagar at minus 4.6 - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: affluent families, assistant director, bashir ahmad, best bet, central heating systems, chilly weather, cold weather, contraptions, electricity supply, freezing point, garment, kashmir, ladakh region, local weather, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, shivers, veterinarian, weather office, wicker basket