Srinagar on boil after ‘murder’ of Yasin Malik’s kin (Second Lead)February 24th, 2009 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 24 (IANS) Around a dozen people were injured in clashes between protesters and security men here after Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Mohammed Yasin Malik’s kin was found “murdered” in mysterious circumstances.
The body of Shabir Ahmad Sheikh, an autorickshaw driver, was found in Bemina, on the outskirts of Srinagar, in the morning.
Sheikh, a Srinagar resident, was apparently strangled to death.
“We have registered an FIR under section 302 of the criminal penal code,” district police chief Afadul Mujtaba told reporters.
“Investigations would be carried out swiftly to trace those responsible for the murder,” Mujtaba said.
Protests erupted in the Maisuma locality adjacent to city centre Lal Chowk soon after the news of the murder spread.
Protesters forced closure on markets and traffic in the Lal Chowk, Maisuma and Residency Road areas as they carried the body for burial in the Dal Gate area of the city.
Police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) used batons and fired dozens of tear smoke shells to disperse stone pelting protesters.
Around a dozen protesters and security men were injured in the clashes as stone pelting protesters kept on regrouping from lanes and bylanes of the densely populated area to target the security personnel.
Two local journalists covering the incident were among those injured in the clashes.
- JKLF members clash with police in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2012
- Shutdown on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2012
- Yasin Malik, supporters arrested in Srinagar (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Five hurt in police firing in Srinagar - Aug 30, 2010
- Protests in Srinagar over Facebook posts - Nov 18, 2011
- Thousands offer Eid prayers amid sporadic violence in Kashmir - Nov 17, 2010
- Two injured in police firing during Kashmir protests - Feb 21, 2010
- Maulana opposed to stone throwing killed in Srinagar (Third Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Yasin Malik arrested in Srinagar (With image) - Jan 06, 2012
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- Five wounded in police firing in Srinagar (Lead) - Aug 30, 2010
- Police baton charge protesters in Srinagar - Jan 21, 2012
- Senior cop among 30 injured in Kashmir clashes - Nov 07, 2011
- Religious leader killed in Srinagar blast, city shuts down (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Yasin Malik, legislator arrested in Srinagar during protests - Dec 10, 2011
Tags: city police, clashes, criminal penal code, district police, dozen protesters, jammu and kashmir, kashmir liberation, lal, liberation front, mujtaba, mysterious circumstances, outskirts, police force, reserve police, residency road, security men, security personnel, shabir ahmad, srinagar, yasin malik