Srinagar markets closed to protest shopkeeper’s murderDecember 15th, 2011 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 15 (IANS) Shops in some old city areas of Srinagar remained shut Thursday in protest against the murder of a local shopkeeper who was beaten by hooligans here Dec 3 when he refused to heed a separatists’ call for a shutdown.
Shops in Nowhatta area, where the deceased, the 25-year-old Tariq Ahmad Bhat, had a shop, as well as in the adjoining Gojwara, Rajouri Kadal and Hawal areas observed the shutdown.
Police said Bhat had refused to accept the shutdown dictates of the separatists and was hit by assailants on the head with a cricket bat.
Bhat battled for life in the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences at Soura for 14 days and finally succumbed to critical injuries Wednesday.
Hundreds attended the burial of the shopkeeper Wednesday evening with relatives and shopkeepers condemned the gruesome murder of the youth.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Thursday condemned the shopkeeper’s murder and challenged the separatists to do genuine politics instead of resorting to force to have their shutdown calls enforced.
“Acts like this will no longer be tolerated,” he warned.
Police have already arrested four people for the murder.
No separatist leader has so far condemned the shopkeeper’s murder.
- Youth beaten by miscreants dies in Srinagar - Dec 14, 2011
- Injured man dies in Kashmir, toll rises to 110 - Oct 15, 2010
- Another teen dies in Kashmir, 20 hurt in clashes (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- 101 deaths in 101 days of unrest in Kashmir Valley - Sep 19, 2010
- Kashmir separatist leader critical; 'Quiet talks' will continue: Chidambaram (Roundup) - Dec 05, 2009
- National Conference worker shot at in Srinagar - Sep 15, 2011
- Omar lashes out at separatists' 'hooliganism' - Dec 15, 2011
- Over a dozen injured in Srinagar clashes (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Militants kill National Conference activist in Kashmir - Dec 24, 2011
- 10 injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- 18 injured in Srinagar bridge collapse - Aug 11, 2012
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Injured youth dies in Srinagar hospital - Jun 20, 2010
- Separatist leader critical; 'quiet talks' will continue: Chidambaram (Second Lead) - Dec 05, 2009
- Another teenager dies, Kashmir toll rises to 64 - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: acts, ahmad, assailants, bhat, chief minister, city areas, cricket bat, critical injuries, gruesome murder, hawal, hooligans, kadal, kashmir, medical sciences, relatives, separatist leader, sher, shopkeeper, soura, wednesday evening