Srinagar-Jammu highway closed, avalanche warning in ValleyFebruary 15th, 2011 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 15 (IANS) The strategic Srinagar-Jammu national highway remained closed for the second day Tuesday as the authorities warned of a high danger avalanche and landslides in the higher reaches of Kashmir Valley and the Ladakh region.”The Srinagar-Jammu highway will remain closed for vehicular traffic today also as landslides have occurred at a number of places on the road which are being cleared,” a senior official of the traffic department said here.
“People intending to undertake travel from either side should contact the traffic control rooms before starting the journey to know about the latest status of the highway.”
The high danger avalanche warning has been issued by the disaster management cell here for snow bound areas above 2,500 metres in Jammu and Kashmir.
“The avalanche prone areas for which the warning has been issued include Bannihal, Kishtwar, Gulmarg, Pulwama, Baramulla, Uri, Kupwara, Tangdhar, Keran, Machil, Gurez, Bandipora, Chowkibal, Gugaldara, Sonamarg, Drass and Kargil,” said Amir Ali, incharge of the disaster management cell at the provincial headquarters here.
People in disaster prone areas have been advised to refrain from moving out of their homes and also ensure that snow is regularly cleared from the rooftops.
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Avalanche warning for Kashmir's Gurez town - Mar 05, 2012
- Avalanche warning issued for Kashmir's higher reaches - Feb 20, 2012
- Snow likely in Kashmir Valley, avalanche alert sounded - Feb 06, 2011
- Avalanche warning issued in Kashmir - Jan 07, 2012
- Kashmir cut off for third day, snowfall stops (With Images) - Jan 17, 2012
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Kashmir avalanche: BSF officer's body recovered, six missing (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Dec 30, 2010
- Snow closes Srinagar-Jammu national highway - Jan 08, 2011
- One army man killed as avalanche enters second day - Feb 09, 2010
- Gurez avalanche: Death toll rises to three - Mar 21, 2012
- Snow closes Srinagar-Jammu highway for third day - Jan 08, 2012
- 16 dead, four missing in Srinagar avalanche - Feb 08, 2010
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway again - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: amir ali, avalanche warning, disaster management, drass, incharge, jammu and kashmir, kargil, kashmir, kashmir valley, kishtwar, ladakh region, landslides, management cell, prone areas, provincial headquarters, reaches, rooftops, traffic control, traffic department, vehicular traffic