Srinagar hosts drama festival to project Kashmir as a safe placeMarch 20th, 2009 - 8:25 pm ICT by ANI
By Afzal Butt
Srinagar, Mar 20 (ANI): A drama festival aimed at boosting theatre and projecting Kashmir as a safe place to visit kicked off in Srinagar.
Organised by the Academy of Art, Culture and Language, the week-long festival entertain theatre enthusiasts through different plays in Kashmiri and other languages.
A number of theatre artistes from different parts of the country have gathered here for the festival.
The organisers believe that the festival would boost theatre culture in the region.
“Theatre or drama is a powerful medium of expression. It helps in influencing the public opinion, preserving our culture. Whenever a play is staged it influences the people a lot,” said Zaffar Iqbal Manhas, Secretary, Academy of Art, Culture And Languages. The festival is also aimed at projecting Kashmir as a safe place to visit.
“It is important to hold such festivals. It sends out a positive message to people outside Kashmir. If we can hold such events and festivals here then it will send across a message that the situation here is normal,” said Mohammad Ashraf, actor.
Kashmir has been battling insurgency since it first broke out in 1989. (ANI)
- Kashmiri folk culture comes alive at R-Day - Jan 26, 2011
- NSD, Polish drama academy ink agreement (With Image) - Jan 09, 2012
- Shumang Leela festival held to promote northeast culture in Manipur - Mar 26, 2011
- Global children performing arts fest begins in Delhi - Dec 08, 2011
- European culture carnival opens in capital - Nov 11, 2011
- Anupam plans theatre fest in Shimla, says it is payback time - Aug 06, 2012
- Regional theatre sets stage for Games - Sep 09, 2010
- Feast on regional theatre, thanks to Games(Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- HRD ministry to preserve Kashmir's manuscripts, paintings - Jul 21, 2012
- International Film Festival kicks off in Kashmir - Nov 14, 2009
- New content, support set stage for theatre's resurgence (March 27 is World Theatre Day) - Mar 26, 2011
- Ajmer set to host first global Sufi fest - Sep 22, 2011
- Winter football tournament in Srinagar attracts youth - Feb 28, 2011
- Masala, mehndi, masti at Toronto's desi festival - Aug 12, 2011
- Sonu, Sunidhi to sing at Qutub Festival - Oct 29, 2011
Tags: academy of art, art culture, ashraf, butt, drama festival, festivals, hosts, iqbal, kashmir, languages, medium of expression, mohammad, organisers, public opinion, safe place, theatre culture, theatre enthusiasts