Srinagar attackers are from across the border, says DIG, CRPFJanuary 6th, 2010 - 10:55 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Jan.6 (ANI): Suicide attackers involved in firing and lobbing of grenade on a security force picket in Srinagar on Wednesday at Lal Chowk are from across the border, said a senior official of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) on Wednesday.
The attackers fired at a CRPF picket and then hurled a grenade before entering into a hotel building at Lal Chowk, the main business centre at the heart of Srinagar.
“As per the initial information one journalist is injured, one police personnel is injured and one is killed. At least two, could be more…they (militants) are definitely from across the border,” Nalin Bhatnagar, CRPF Deputy Inspector General and also the in-charge of the continuing gunbattle, said.
The injured are presently being administered medical treatment at a hospital in Srinagar.
The gun battle between security personnel and the militants is still on after five hours at Lal Chowk area in Srinagar.
The terrorists are engaged in the gun battle with CRPF personnel and police officials. They are hiding in a hotel at Lal Chowk and there number is believed to be two.
The area has been cordoned off.
So far (till 9.20.p.m, Wednesday), at least two security personnel are reportedly feared to have died and four others, including a media person, injured. It all happened after terrorists lobbed grenades and fired at the Central Reserve Police Force.
Meanwhile, Jamait-e-Mujahiddin, a terrorist group, has taken responsibility for today’s incident, a private channel reported.
Last week four soldiers were killed when militants ambushed a security patrol in south Kashmir. (ANI)
- Two killed, four injured as terrorists strike at Lal Chowk in Srinagar - Jan 06, 2010
- Srinagar encounter continues between security forces and terrorists at Lal Chowk (update) - Jan 06, 2010
- Lal Chowk encounter ends with gunning down of three militants - Jan 07, 2010
- Four injured in Kashmir attack, gun battle on (Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- CRPF under attack in Kashmir - Jan 06, 2010
- Four attacks injure four in Kashmir - Oct 25, 2011
- Four injured in Kashmir attack, JuM claims responsibility (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- One dead, six injured in Kashmir attack (Third Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- Lal Chowk gun battle ends, two guerrillas killed - Jan 07, 2010
- One dead, six injured in Kashmir attack (Fourth Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- Two killed, four injured in two separate strikes on CRPF in Srinagar - Aug 31, 2009
- Five CRPF troopers injured in Kashmir attack - Jun 17, 2012
- Kashmir mosque siege on as militant refuses to give up (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Policeman dead as militants attack busy Kashmir market (Fifth Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- Local shopkeepers protest damage done to their properties in Lal Chowk encounter - Jan 08, 2010
Tags: bhatnagar, business centre, chowk, crpf, deputy inspector general, gun battle, gunbattle, hotel building, lal, media person, police force, police officials, private channel, reserve police, security force, security patrol, security personnel, south kashmir, suicide attackers, terrorist group