Sri Sri Ravi Shankar recalls trauma among Sri Lankan TamilsApril 23rd, 2009 - 2:31 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Apr 23 (ANI): Art of Living Guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, who visited Sri Lanka on a humanitarian mission, said that there is immense trauma among the Tamil people living in refugee camps.
“We did whatever little bit in the relief work possible and there is lot of fear and anxiety among the people. They feel sort of let down by all those whom they believed in. They feel let down by their own people, they feel let down by India,” said Shankar, who was in Sri Lanka since Monday.”And now there is tremendous trauma. The area, which did not have a single beggar, has now become a marathon of beggars. Everybody has become a beggar. I met with Sri Lankan President Mahenda Rajapakse and insisted that they all be rehabilitated as soon as possible,” he added.
On Wednesday, two top leaders of the rebel Liberation Tigers of the Tamil Ealam (LTTE) surrendered before the Sri Lanka Army in Puthumathalam.
Puthumattalam is the last LTTE sand bund waiting to be captured by the Sri Lanka Army. The final assault against Prabhakaran began in Puthumattalam on Tuesday afternoon after the Lankan Army’s deadline for surrender of LTTE Chief Velupillai Prabhakaran ended on Monday.
On Tuesday, the LTTE said that its leaders and cadre would not surrender to the Sri Lanka armed forces, and added that their leader V. Prabhakaran was still alive and directing the counter-offensive in Puthumattalam. (ANI)
- Sri Lanka Army confirms surrender of two top LTTE leaders - Apr 22, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Karunanidhi calls for 12-hour strike in Chennai - Apr 22, 2009
- Final assault against LTTE chief Prabhakaran begins - Apr 21, 2009
- Yechuri wants 'justice' for Tamils - Mar 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- May 21, 1991: The assassination that also killed Tamil Eelam (Comment) - May 22, 2011
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Ahead of elections, pro-LTTE journal attacks Karunanidhi - Apr 11, 2011
- LTTE remains a threat, says India - May 17, 2010
- Prabhakaran's father to be cremated Sunday - Jan 09, 2010
- Slain LTTE leader Prabhakaran's mother passes away in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- Prabhakaran's mother dies in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- Probe Sri Lanka killings, CPI-M says - Mar 13, 2012
- LTTE's Prabhakaran shot dead along with leading cadre - May 18, 2009
Tags: beggar, beggars, chennai, guru, humanitarian mission, lankan army, liberation tigers, marathon, rajapakse, ravi shankar, refugee camps, sri lanka army, sri lankan president, sri lankan tamils, sri ravi shankar, sri sri ravi, sri sri ravi shankar, surrender, trauma, tuesday afternoon