Sri Lankan Tamils unhappy with India’s stanceJune 9th, 2009 - 1:54 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 9 (ANI): Sri Lankan Tamils are unhappy with India’s stand on Sri Lankan military action against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in the island nation.
These were the views expressed by a team of Sri Lankan journalists of Tamilian origin at a meeting hosted by the Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA) here on Monday.
They contended that Sri Lankan Tamils feel India cooperated with the Sri Lankan government rather than doing something for them.
“As far as Tamils are concerned they are in a position of humiliation. They feel they are humiliated by every one including India. They expected India to at least do something during the later stage and even India coordinated and cooperated with the Sri Lankan government,” said R Bharati, Editor, Udayan and Sodoroli, published from Sri Lanka.
Although the Sri Lankan Government is determined to rehabilitate the internally displaced Tamil families from the north, there might hindrances in its way, said another journalist.
“The intention is there but Rajapaksa Government also has certain hardliner allies who would not like him to take that route but wait and see how it works. It may not work out as quickly as most of us would wish but I think eventually there is a determination to resolve this problem,” said N Vithyatharan, a senior journalist from Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka declared total victory on LTTE on May 18 in a 25-year civil war after crushing the last resistance put up by the separatist Tamil Tigers and killing the LTTE leader Vellupillai Prabhakaran. (ANI)
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Indian MPs slam Sri Lanka for 'war crimes' (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Tamils protest for a separate state for Sri Lankan Tamils - Nov 28, 2009
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Don't link critics to LTTE, Sri Lanka told - Mar 15, 2012
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- NSA to go to Colombo, voice India's concerns - Jun 25, 2012
- A Sri Lankan Tamil who could have made a difference (Comment) - Nov 19, 2011
- Slain LTTE leader Prabhakaran's mother passes away in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- Tamilians in Coimbatore demonstrate against Sri Lankan President - May 26, 2009
- Jayalalithaa reiterates her opposition to LTTE - Jul 06, 2010
- PM reminds Rajapaksa India's key role in Geneva - Mar 24, 2012
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: allies, bharati, civil war, hindrances, humiliation, island nation, journalist, lanka sri, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte leader, military action, New Delhi, separatist tamil tigers, sri lankan government, sri lankan journalists, sri lankan tamils, tamil tigers, udayan, world affairs