Sri Lankan MP seeks India’’s intervention to end conflictFebruary 10th, 2009 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
Coimbatore, Feb 10 (ANI): Sri Lankan MP Srikantha has demanded India’’s intervention to end the 25-year-long civil war in the island nation.
“India should take steps to stop war in Sri Lanka. And if the government failed, we are left with no other option, rather go to the United Nations and other foreign countries urging them to stop the war,” he said.
India has been demanding protection for all Sri Lanka Tamils, who are closely linked to the 60 million Tamils in Tamil Nadu. Last month, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee met Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa and discussed safety measures for Tamils trapped in the battle zone.
The visit was also aimed at cooling tensions with Tamil Nadu politicians who are demanding India broker a ceasefire and save Tamils in Sri Lanka. (ANI)
- Chennai students take to the streets over Lankan issue - Feb 18, 2009
- Lawyers in Chennai take to the streets over Lankan conflict - Feb 12, 2009
- Tamil activists take to the streets over Lankan conflict - Feb 11, 2009
- Students protest over Sri Lankan issue in Coimbatore - Jan 30, 2009
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- Tamil supporters protest over Sri Lankan issue in Mumbai - Mar 01, 2009
- Lankan Tamil issue rocks Parliament again - Feb 19, 2009
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Lankan refugees appeal to India to save Tamils in island nation - Feb 16, 2009
- Exercise restraint against Indian fishermen, Sri Lanka urged - May 16, 2011
- India must ensure Rajapaksa faces war crimes trial - Apr 22, 2011
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
- Tamil Nadu party protests offensive on Lankan Tamils - Feb 08, 2009
- Indian delegation holds talks in Sri Lanka - Apr 17, 2012
- Sri Lankan leaders heckled in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: 60 million, battle zone, ceasefire, civil war, conflict, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, foreign countries, island nation, mahinda rajapaksa, mp, nation india, politicians, pranab mukherjee, safety measures, sri lanka tamils, sri lankan president, tensions, united nations, war in sri lanka