Sri Amarnath Yatra concludes peacefullyAugust 5th, 2009 - 8:23 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Aug.5 (ANI): Having lasted for nearly two months, the famous Amarnath pilgrimage concluded on Wednesday with a group of ardent devotees carrying the mace of Lord Shiva to the 3,880 metre high cave shrine in Kashmir.
The holy mace of Lord Shiva reached the holy cave from Panchtarni with special puja and Antim Darshan (last holy glimpse) on the occasion of Raksha Bandhan
Chhari Mubarak, as the mace is popularly known as, was carried by Mahant Deepinder Giri, the custodian, reached the shrine this morning around nine 0′ clock and was offered prayers, official sources said.
Jammu and Kashmir Governor and Chairman of Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB) N N Vohra attended the concluding prayers at the shrine.
After the prayers, the Chhari Mubarak started its return journey and is expected to reach Pahalgam on August 7, where special prayers would be offered before it is taken back to Dashnami Akhara, the sources said.
Since the beginning of the pilgrimage on June 15, about 400,000 pilgrims from different parts of the country undertook the journey to the cave this year. The holy cave houses the naturally-formed ice-Shivalingam, the symbol of Lord Shiva.
There was complete synergy between Sri Amarnath Shrine Board, State Administration and security agencies.
The local Muslims also provided all assistance in the successful conduct of the yatra signifying the tradition of communal harmony.
It’s an annual ritual to carry the mace from its abode by Dashnami Akhara from Srinagar to the Amarnath shrine during the pilgrimage to conduct special prayers.
The event coincides with the festival of Rakshabandhan, which was celebrated especially in the north and central India, on Wednesday. (ANI)
- Annual Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 02, 2012
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrims worship Holy Mace in Srinagar - Aug 19, 2010
- Pilgrims carry Chari Mubarak to Amarnath shrine - Aug 15, 2010
- Annual Amarnath yatra to conclude today - Aug 05, 2009
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- Amarnath shrine had 400,000 pilgrims this year - Aug 04, 2009
- First Amarnath prayers offered, not at shrine (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Improve medical aid for Amarnath pilgrims: Apex court (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- BSNL offers mobile coverage to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: amarnath shrine, amarnath yatra, antim, cave houses, central india, communal harmony, holy cave, lord shiva, mubarak, pahalgam, puja, raksha bandhan, rakshabandhan, return journey, sasb, security agencies, shri, shrine board, state administration, vohra