Special feast for monkeys on Onam in KeralaSeptember 12th, 2008 - 4:09 pm ICT by ANI
Maruthamala (Kerala), Sept 12 (ANI): Environmentalists laid out a feast for monkeys at a nearby hill in Maruthamala hillock in Kollam District of Kerala as part of the ten-day Onam festival.
The harvest festival, Onam, is celebrated after the harvest has been reaped and granaries are full, as a sure sign of prosperity. It begins on the first day of Malayalam month ”Chingam” and culminates on ”Thiruvonam” day, with a grand feast. On this day, young girls and women make flower patterns called ””Pookalam”” in local parlance to welcome the mythical King Mahabali.
Loaded with bananas, rice and other food items, the environmentalists walked up the hillock to feed their simian friends.
The environmentalists have been crusading to save the hillock from illegal quarrying and to protect the animals residing there.
Feeding the monkeys regularly has become their hobby, but, during Onam, the monkeys are in for special delights.
“This is a state of King Mahabali and all were equal during his reign. That is the reason we celebrate this monkey feast and believe it’’s very auspicious and are following it for the past eight years now. Thus our main aim is to protect the hillockas well as the wild monkeys who made their habitat in this region,” said O. Vijay Prakash, an environmentalist.
The ”Marutha Hill Protection Committee” formed by these environmentalists has been fighting to save the hillock and the animals residing there. (ANI)
- Feasting, fervour mark Onam in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- People celebrate Onam across Kerala - Aug 23, 2010
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Kerala pays out Rs.100 crore in pension, dole for Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- President greets nation ahead of Onam - Sep 01, 2009
- Feasts, shows, shopping - it's Onam time in Kerala - Aug 19, 2010
- Prayers, flowers and feasts - Kerala celebrates Onam - Aug 23, 2010
- Pookalam contest in Delhi to mark Onam - Aug 19, 2012
- Delhi welcomes Onam with Pookalam - Sep 04, 2011
- Kerala Tourism unveils 'virtual' pookalam - Sep 09, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Onam - Sep 08, 2011
- Zed greets Malayalees on Onam - Aug 09, 2010
- President greets nation on Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- Kerala immersed in Onam festivities - Sep 09, 2011
- Rain, spiralling prices may mar Onam revelry - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: bananas, chingam, environmentalist, environmentalists, flower patterns, food items, grand feast, harvest festival, hillock, king mahabali, monkey, mythical king, nearby hill, onam, parlance, prosperity, protection committee, vijay, wild monkeys, young girls